Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Earthquake

I have lived in California all my life but in the bay area for only about 7 years. Last night was the first earthquake that I have ever really felt. There I was folding clothes like I do almost every night and suddenly I felt like I was on a cruise ship again. I felt the ripple roll under my feet and I watched the pictures and books sway on the bookshelf in front of me. Nothing actually toppled over or fell off just shook a little. The kids didn't even react which is kinda funny. They thought it was interesting that Mom and Dad got excited about it. When we told them to all come and stand in the doorway they thought it was exciting. They loved it that within a few min we could look up on the internet where the quake started and how strong it was. After a short lesson on why earthquakes happen we brushed teeth, said prayers and went to bed, grateful to be safe and happy.

3 comments:

Bibliophile said...

I was wondering about you this morning as I read the newspaper and found out that there was an earthquake near San Jose. "Did they feel it?," I asked myself. Now I know....

We didn't feel a thing, but it was felt in the San Joaquin Valley, I know.

Anonymous said...

I've never lived anywhere that had regular quakes. But visited my sister when she was living in the bay area a few years ago...and felt one that night! I just thought they happened there all the time....

Ice Cream said...

I felt the tremors of one when I was very young. I remember cupboards opening and pictures falling off the wall, and wondering when everything was shaking. Part of me always wanted to feel one again.