Thursday, October 25, 2007

Overwhelmed

Do you ever get the feeling that you are just juggling too many balls? Trying to keep them all up in the air. I am feeling this way of late. I think I just have said "yes" too many times and now have too many things on my plate. My husband told me that I need to start saying "no" more often. I tend to think I can do it all. I usually can, sort of, but as he explained to me as we discussed this last night, I use up a lot of energy getting the jobs done.

I tend to be a perfectionist. My mom told me that when I was small I didn't talk for a long time. I was 3 yrs old and didn't do much more then point and grunt. But then one day I just started talking in complete sentences. (Ian did this too!) My husband said that is how I face challenges. I tend to think and plan behind the scenes and then come up with a perfect product. I just don't like to do something unless I know I am doing it well. But as a result I am tired. Not sleepy tired just drained. This is what I am feeling at the moment.

Maybe I am feeling this way because it's coming to the end of the month and holidays are on their way which adds more balls to juggle. For what ever reason... I went to bed and couldn't turn my brain off. I just kept mulling over the things I had to do the next day (today now) and get done before the end of the week. You would think a stay at home mom wouldn't have that much to worry about. But a mom who has 3 small energetic children, runs a household on one income, tries to homeschool, has a number of church callings (I just got a new one last week!) as well as all the other day to day things that turn up, is bound to feel a little tired and in over their heads at times. Or maybe it is just because today happens to be my birthday.


Another year older! That will make anyone feel tired.... Right?

6 comments:

~Plain Jane~ said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIS!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Of course you are juggling lots of things. Kids, home and homeschooling without any outside commitments would be enough. Whatever you are doing outside the home is amazing.

Also, the oh my gosh, it is almost November can throw anyone for a loop! Cute graphics.

((Hugs)) to you.

Ice Cream said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you are being totally selfish today.

My sister said it best when she said, no one goes to my husbands work and asks him to babysit, or to host a tupperware party, or to make center pieces for a wedding because he is obviously busy, so why do they think I have any more time than he does? (She also homeschools her four children) She changed her answering machine to say Hi, you've reached ----, school is in session until 2pm, but please leave a message and we will get back to you then." She says that just that one little message has drastically changed her life and people's understanding of her available time.

Sonja said...

Oh Happy Birthday!!
Here's a little poem that has become my mantra lately:

For every worry under the sun
there is a remedy
or there is none
If there is a remedy
hurry and find it.
If there is none,
never mind it.

Hope you have a fantastic day..week..year!

Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Birthday!!! The coolest people have October birthdays :)

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. I've felt kind of that way myself lately, though I think it's more hormonal for me at the moment.

I also didn't talk until 3, and in complete sentences, and I'm a perfectionist also, though I'm trying hard to overcome that tendency in some regards.

Hope you had a fabulous birthday! and here's to a better next year. (For both of us.)

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you're having a good one. I'm so glad we keep in touch through our blogs!
-Michelle