Friday, October 26, 2007

This has been a long week

I know we did more then I think we did so let me review the week and see what we accomplished.

Monday - We watched the movie of Joseph and the Technicolor Dream Coat. We had listened to the soundtrack a few times so it was fun for Sophie to see the songs performed. (I did skip the Potiphars wife part). She was signing the songs the rest of the day. We did do our devotional which is always a good thing. Sophie choose to start with science so we read a few books about muscles.We attempted Math but it was our undoing. We ended up at the park for the afternoon. The crazyness continued when we got home. Henry went out into the yard and found a mud puddle. He of course had a great time. And the others had to join him. This ment that I had a whole lot of clean up after the fun. I had to scrub the kids, mop the floor and wash a bunch of muddy clothes.



Tuesday - We started with a Devotional. Math went a little easier today but Sophie fights it. A little everyday will be good for her. We read though our Kids Discover magazine about Muscles. We had looked at it when it came a few months ago but got more out of it this time around. She read a book to me.

Wednesday - Sophie had her hearing test in the morning and then our park day group met so the kids had the morning off. We did go home afterward and Sophie did read to me a book, colored a picture for me and copied a Holloween poem. We watched an epidsode of Bill Nye the Science Guy about Archeology. Sophie has been picking out Bill Nye DVD's when we go to the library. They aren't my favorite and she even has said they are "too jumpy". But she likes them and this one applied to our studies so that was good.

Thurday - Devotional to start as usual. We went to the library for story time as usual. We listened to the next chapter of Story of the world about the Code of Hammurabi. Sophie did great explaining to me, and Grandpa again later, about what that chapter was all about. She loved the fact that she recognised Hammurabi from playing Civilization with her Dad. She already knew he was the Babylonian leader. We worked through another section in the Math workbook. I made her an abacus to use but she prefered her fingers to do the addition. She really fights learning Math. I try to teach her tricks or different ways to think about adding numbers and she just doesn't get it. Sometime it will click for her. I don't want to move on to Subtraction until she is able to do more simple addition in her head. I really like the way Singapore tries to teach different ways to think about adding. I just wish Sophie would be more teachable. We listened to Scott Joplin in the car today as we drove around. Sophie is tired of listening to him I think. She complained about it for the first time. I guess it is a good thing to be switching to another composer in a few days. We also broke out the blocks and legos and built step pyramids.

Friday - Sophie decided she didn't want school today but I wouldn't let her get away with that so while we did a little craft project she told me all about muscles. She could tell me all 3 types of muscles and what we need to do to keep our muscles strong.and about Hammurabi again. I had her read The Rules to me and then we discussed what she could remember about Hammurabi's rules and what our house rules were. So a good review. We also read through a few of the books recommended in the Story of the World activity book for the last few chapters. They finally came in at the library.
Abu Ali : three tales of the Middle East - Sophie really thought this was funny
Zekmet, the stone carver : a tale of ancient Egypt - This had all the kid's attentions. They loved the pictures and story. Then the kids spent a good amount of time playing trains today. I helped build a super track which always gets them excited.
They also went out and had a great time in the mud again. The washer is currently trying to scrub all that mud out of their clothes.

There was also a lot of informal schooling going on all week. Cooking, chores and some Halloween arts and crafts. We were busy! It actually looks like an O.K. week. We did get a lot in.

The Halloween festivities begin tonight. There is a a party tonight and then another 2 tomorrow night. We are going to be overloaded with candy very soon! No wonder it is my kids favorite holiday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it with kids and finding mud?!

I have to laugh when I think about Scott Joplin. I took ballet at a classical ballet conservatory with a live pianist for several years. We had one guy who always played ragtime, or the Oscar Meyer wiener theme song, or other odd music. Our teacher would just give him this look, and then we'd dance. It was always the right meter, just not particularly appropriate for ballet.

Isn't it amazing to see what we've accomplished when we write it all out? Looks like a great week.

Sonja said...

I love the kids in the mud picture! Truly a sign of a good time. Your week sounds very successful. I love hearing about how you "trick" Sophie into learning, because I often need to do this with Elise. :D Good luck with the Halloween parties and all the goodies! It is my kids favorite time of year too. :D