Saturday, February 9, 2008

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

This is a recipe for homemade bread that my Mom used to make when I was little. I didn't appreciate it then. I hated it when I had a sandwich in the lunch box made from homemade bread. It crumbled too much. Now I love homemade bread. My kids don't love it for sandwiches either but they love it hot out of the oven or toasted with butter and honey.

1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 cup honey
3 T margarine
3 1/2 cup bread flour
2 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1 egg
1 T salt

Heat milk, water, honey and butter until warm about 120 degrees F. add yeast and let sit. Combine all the other ingredients in bowl. Then add the milk mixture. Mix thoroughly. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down and divide into two equal parts. Shape loaves and place in 2 greased 9x5x3 pans. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 min. Bake in a 375 F. oven for 10 min. Reduce heat to 350 F. and continue to bake another 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I can't make homemade bread too often because I have an awful ability to eat an entire loaf when it is fresh out of the oven.

Melissa said...

Sarah~

Thanks for putting this on the blog for me!! ( it 'was' for me, right? (wink))

I'm excited to try my hand at it - hopefully it won't end up a loaf of lead by the time I'm done with it!