Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday Again.

I can't believe how quickly the weeks pass. Sundays seem to come around quickly. This afternoon I put this movie on for us to watch.It is new to us. We never got a chance to see it in Utah when it played there. Yesterday we were wandering through the Beehive Bookstore in the area and I saw The Testaments DVD there. I thought it would be good for us to finally see it. I have heard about it and seen parts of it but never the whole production. It ended up being the perfect cap to our week.
All week we have been studying Ancient America. We have been reading books about the Aztecs and Mayans. Sophie loves the "You wouldn't want to be a ......." books. I think so far we have read through the Egyptian Mummy and Greek Slave books. This week we read the You wouldn't want to be an Aztec sacrifice. The kids sat through all the gruesome details of the human sacrifices.

We also watched these other two movies this week.

We have had a lot of inside time the last few days because we have had a bit more rain. So we have been watching videos which is a nice change after sitting and reading books so much. We also made some headbands and glued on feathers so we could be Aztecs. (I never did get pictures of these) The kids always love projects. I need to do more of them.

With all our studies this week of the ancient Americas I tried to make sure to point out that these people were the descendants of the Book of Mormon people. But the kids didn't need any help here. They were so excited when I put the Testaments video on today and they saw those step pyramids and cities. They sat there glued to the set watching Jesus Christ come to the Americas.

We had a pretty successful school week even though we had Monday off and it took a bit to get back to normal after being away. But we covered all our subjects and had a great time.

It has returned to being wet and cold so the kids have been wearing their the robes I made them. I am no seamstress but these robes turned out to be a great Christmas gift.

6 comments:

Montserrat said...

There's a scene in the testaments that my five-year-old asks if they are playing the "smiling game." Love to watch that movie on Sundays to calm the kiddos down.

Angela said...

The testament is one of my all time favorite movies. I remember my at the time 8 year old just crying when we saw it on vacation in SLC. I think I will buy it for the collection!

Anonymous said...

We love that movie too. I'll have to remember it when we study the Americas. We love the Schlessinger videos too. We've got Ancient Greece to watch this week. Looks like a great week!

Ice Cream said...

I haven't seen this movie yet. I will have to find it. Sounds like a very productive and educational week. And the robes look so comfy =)

Becca said...

Cute photo of the kids in their comfy robes!!

I'll have to get Testaments for my family. I'd forgotten about that one, so thanks for the reminder.

Sonja said...

Great books and movies! I'm going to check out the "You wouldn't want to be a..." books. They look like so much fun.
I also love the robes!
Thanks for sharing your week. It's always fun to see what you are up to. :)