Saturday, February 2, 2008

We actually finished.

It is hard to believe but on Friday we actually did the last review in the first Singapore Math book. We get to move on to 1B on Monday. Math has been a big struggle for us but I think we are moving along finally. Sophie enjoyed the last few sections that weren't adding and subtracting. She doesn't know all the math facts but she does remember a few and is getting less frustrated so that is a major step forward. She enjoyed playing with tangrams and comparing weights and lengths.

As for the other subjects of study. We actually took it kinda light this week. We have had a lot of rain and that has made the kids a lot more crazy being cooped up inside so much. But we still read more greek myths and made the paper dolls from the Story of the World Activity book.

Sophie loved this book I picked up from the library this week.

She also had a great time coloring this week. I broke out my Masterpieces coloring book and copied the two Degas paintings that are included. She love them and asked for more. This surprised me because I have brought out this book a few other times and she didn't want to do it. But I copied some of the pictures from the artists we have already studied and she colored some them and she still wanted more so I gave her some of other impressionists since they in the same style as Degas. So now we have some Renior, Cassatt, Manet and Van Gogh paintings scattered about the house. Here is one of her masterpieces.

We have read a lot of rain forest books this week too. My kids are determined to save the rain forests. Every book tells them that the forests are being destroyed and need to be saved. They are worried that there won't be any rain forests left and that all those animals will be without homes. The books fail to tell us how we can help save them. I told them that that was why we recycle all our papers, plastics, tin cans and glass and use what have wisely and not waste. Any other ideas how we can save the rain forests? I was at a loss. One afternoon Sophie decided she needed a project so we made a rainforest collage for her wall. We broke out the construction paper and glue and cut out trees and leaves and a few animals to go in her rain forest. She love this and keeps wanting to add more animals by drawing them on or cutting them out. This may be an ongoing project for a bit. We also watch a movie about the rainforests which the kids enjoyed.

I can't really recall what else we did this week. We have been playing a lot of games and having play dates with some of our friends. We are always busy and Sophie especially is always doing something. She is writing lists and drawing pictures non stop. We go through a lot of paper (good thing we recycle!) and colored pencils.

Oh I picked up a audio book and we have been listening to it. Me more than the kids probably, it is a more advanced story, but It is very interesting. I picked it up because it is Persian and we have been reading a lot of Persian books lately.
I don't know how much the kids are getting out of it but they always know when the next disk needs to be put in and say they want to continue with it when I ask them. But they are in and out and doing other things while we listen. I am usually folding clothes, baking or making dinner while we listen.

I am looking forward to a new month. I have picked Vivaldi as our composer of the month and Vermeer as our artist. Very different then the artists and composers we have studied the last few months. Our timeline is crammed in on spot with all the ones we have done so far. So I thought it was time to move to a different time period. And being Valentine's month the V names seemed to fit.

2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

We have only finished on math book from cover to cover before and it was such an awesome feeling.

Anonymous said...

I liked Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher as well. It looks like you had a great week. I love reading learning notes. :)