Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vermeer

For the month of February I choose the artist Johannes Vermeer to study. I don't know how much Sophie or any of the kids are getting out of the study but I am enjoying it. I have always liked Vermeer's paintings and remember seeing a few of them when in the Louvre. The Lace Maker is one I distinctly remember seeing. (I went to Paris before I had really studied art so didn't know what I was looking at a lot of the time.)It is actually a lot smaller then I would have ever imagined. They had it displayed with a large, wide frame to make it seem bigger. When I looked up it's measurements today in the Vermeer book we have, it gives the dimenions in cm and not inches like many of the other paintings in the book.
This afternoon I sat with the Vermeer Book on my lap listening to Chasing Vermeer and looking up the paintings that are mentioned in the story. Sophie came and sat down with me and looked at the book with me for a bit. I don't know how much she is listening to the story but that is alright, I am enjoying it. As I was flipping through the book I noticed a few of Vermeer's earliest works. I had never seen some of them. He actually did a few biblical scenes which were the normal subjects for paintings in his day. I noticed this one in particular.
Christ in the home of Mary and Martha.
I just thought it was lovely. It doesn't totally feel like a Vermeer. The colors seem a little too vibrant but then some of his paintings do have some very strong reds in it. It does has an intimate feeling about it, like most of Vermeer's works. Anyway.. I just liked it and especially enjoy the fact that I found a new painting of his that I hadn't seen before.

4 comments:

Bibliophile said...

Vermeer was a Dutch painter, and when I visited Rembrandt's home in Amsterdam, I was struck by the fact that I was able to SEE for the first time a home of that era. Vermeer used the interiors of Dutch homes in his paintings, so I can now picture just what was happening in these kinds of paintings. Thanks for the reminder!

Angela said...

I loved these paintings- very peaceful! I am putting together my art study list for next year- I think I will include Vermeer now.

Ice Cream said...

Lovely paintings. I'm so jealous of your visit to the Louvre and hope you will tell us about it.

Sonja said...

I think the culture you teach your children is wonderful! I don't think many people appreciate great art these days and it's sad. I loved reading your thoughts about this magnificent artist. I especially liked the painting of the Savior with Mary and Martha. I have'nt seen that one either.

I need to be more cultured myself. Perhaps a visit to Paris is in order?--I'll put that order in to the big boss. :)