Wednesday, December 12, 2007

More than a cold.

My kids have all had a cold for a few weeks. Mostly coughs and a little runny nose. But Monday morning Ian climbed into bed with us and told us his ear hurt. I gave him a little tylenol and heated up a little bean bag heat pad to put on his ear and forgot about it. He has been acting normally, maybe a little more cranky and he actually took a nap on Monday which is strange, but I didn't pursue any further treatment. Usually such things just go away on their own. Well yesterday he started to really complain about his ear and it started leaking out stuff. So I called the Doctor and they squeezed us in. Ian's ear drum had burst. Poor kid has evidently had an ear infection that has gotten worse and worse until it burst the eardrum. That makes me really feel like a negligent Mom. But I hate it when I take my kids to see the doctor and she just tells me it is a cold and there is nothing she can do about it.
So now Ian gets to have ear drops and antibiotics. Plus a lot of cuddle time on the story telling chair reading all his favorite books. Richard Scarry, Bob the Builder, and Magic School Bus here I come!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor Ian! I'm so sorry the little guy has such a sad ear!! ~But I don't think you should beat yourself up, mom. I've been sent home with sick kids from the doctor who said 'it's just a cold', too. Give him lots of hugs!

Karen said...

I remember when my ear drum burst. Not fun for little Ian. He might have some hearing problems in the ear for a few months after he gets better too.


Poor little guy...

Ice Cream said...

Oh no! I hate when this happens. I have one child who never complains about ANYTHING so it is hard to know when he is really sick, like this. He once was itching himself a lot and I kept telling him to stop and asking him what was wrong. Turns out he had a very big, very painful, infection that took a week to cure. I felt soooo bad.