Thursday, December 20, 2007

Baking, Listening and Watching

This week we have been getting a bit of rain and I have been doing a lot of baking. (I am actually out of flour and will have to raid my food storage if I don't get to the grocery soon.) And since I have been in the kitchen I have put music or stories on the CD player for the kids to listen to while they play with blocks, legos or little knights. I love it when Sophie starts to sing along with the Christmas songs or when Ian tells me when it is time to change disks for the story. It means they are actually listening. As we drive we also listen to the many CDs of stories and songs that I have burned and often the kids ask to take it inside to finish. So we have been filled with stories. When we aren't listening to them we are reading them.

One of the Stories the kids have really enjoyed listening to recently is The Story of Jesus from Kiddie Records Weekly. They had it listed in February of 2006 but I downloaded it and added it to a CD with other Christmas Stories and songs I downloaded from this sight. My kids love to listen to these stories but especially this story. We have heard it many times during the last few days.

I have also put the Audio book of Princess Academy on and we have been listening to it as well. I am enjoying this one. Sophie isn't totally interested since it has Princess in the title. She has turned her mind against it. She is so anti princess it is funny. But she did actually request to watch Sleeping Beauty the other day because the music is by Tchaikovski of course. But the boys loved seeing the knights and this movie is what sparked the little knights coming out of the closet.

One morning I just didn't feel like getting going so we all curled up in my bed and watched Holiday Inn a Holiday tradition in my house. I thought the kids need to be reaquainted with Fred Astaire. The boys loved the dancing (especially when Fred dances with the fire crackers) and Sophie recognized many of the songs. I love it that my kids will watch these old black and white movies. We actually have quite a few of them in our our DVD collection and I love them, so they can't get away from them.

Cold rainy weather certainly makes for cozy story and movie times! This is one of my favorite parts of this time of the year. And with the baking I have done we have had warm bread and Cinnamon rolls and such to enjoy along with our story times.

2 comments:

Sonja said...

I am going to check out Princess Academy at the library. I enjoy your book recommendations. When I was little I was anti-princess too! I guess I've changed my tune. :D

my5wolfcubs said...

My dd just got Princess Academy for her birthday! She loved it -- I'll have to see if the library has the audio.
Lee