Friday, December 14, 2007

Did we accomplish much this week?

School this week went about as it usually does even though the kids were a bit under the weather. Sophie was actually excited to do history this week. We read the Story of the World chapter about Moses and the Exodus. She loved that it was a story she already knew. We also read a few children's books about the Exodus which were great go alongs.


We also listened to a bit more Tchaikovsky music and read a children's book that tells the story of Swan Lake. Sophie enjoyed also reading a bit more about Ballet and has decided that she really wants to take dance classes. That same day in the mail we recieved the Community Center's schedule of classes and they have a dance class that will be perfect for her. She has mentioned dance class a few times recently and then reading about ballet has only strengthened the draw so we will see how it goes. The class doesn't start until mid January so we will see if we still have the desire when the time comes.

Sophie got very excited when I brought The Cat in numberland home from the library last week so each day she has read one chapter aloud to me. We finished it today since it is only 5 chapters. Some of the math was beyond her but she still enjoyed it. We also went through a number of math exercises each day and Sophie isn't fighting it anymore. She also has figured out how to use the abacus which is helpful. She doesn't get as frustrated.

Ian decided he too needed to do some math so he broke out a dot to dot book and worked through a few of those this week. He also got out his preschool workbook and traced some letters. He is starting to want to do things along with us which is a good thing. Before he was content to just play with his trucks and trains while we read and worked on things. He almost always joins us for Science reading and activities but he wanted to join in on the other subjects as well. I am going to have to plan more for him in the future. In January I will get back to Rowing books which will be good for him.

I can't say we actively did any science or even language arts this week. Sophie does read aloud to me each day but really hates it when I ask her to do copy work. I am going to have to be more creative and find ways to fit in more writing without calling it writing.

We also went to a house building party. The kids had a great time building gram cracker houses and decorating them with candy. I know for a fact they ate way more than they put on their houses.A bunch of kids plus a lot of candy is sure to be a hit!

And as for me. Because I am always learning new things I might as well share what I am studying too. I bought a book called Keeping a Nature Journal a few weeks ago on Ebay. I finally got around to really looking at it this week. Nature journaling is something I want Sophie to start doing since we will be studying plants in the Spring. So I actually broke out one of my old sketch books and practiced some drawing. I haven't taken my book outside yet. When we go to the park I am too busy keeping my kids from running off or falling off of stuff. I don't get a chance to sit down. Taking the time to sketch is a little out of the question at the moment. But I did open up some field guides and attempt to draw a bird. Sophie brought me a horse book and asked me to draw some of them also. Here is what I was able to do.

Then of course Ian asked me to draw Bob. Not the greatest but it is an attempt.
I haven't drawn a whole lot in years. It is good to sketch again. I have never been that good but hopefully I will improve with practice.

I am still practicing the piano almost everyday. I can actually play a few Christmas songs and Sophie sings along so I must be getting better since she actually recognizes what I am playing.

At the library I picked up Shannon Hales River Secrets and Princess Academy. I haven't started them yet. I have been busy reading the nature journaling book but they are my next pleasure reads.

That is about it for us this week. We have been really busy. The days seem to fly by. But not fast enough for Sophie who keeps telling me how many days are left until Christmas.

4 comments:

Bibliophile said...

I borrowed "Princess Academy" from our local library and read it quickly. It's a good book for pre-teen girls. It keeps their interest.

Sonja said...

Wow! You are a wonderful artist!! I hope everyone is feeling better...
:D

Ice Cream said...

Um, ok you just drew a very 3D looking Bob, I think you are better than you think you are. I agree that it is so hard to find the peaceful time to draw but my kids also love it when I do. I love your cracker candy houses. We make those every year, but this year I finally joined the ranks of the ultimate cheaters and I bought a candy house kit. We are going to put it together on Christmas Eve.

Anonymous said...

You are a fabulous drawer! I am at the stick-figure stage...yikes! Is the book good? I've been eyeing it for awhile now.