Friday, November 30, 2007

TGIF

I have to say this week hasn't been as smooth sailing as other weeks have been. I don't know if it is the getting back to school after a few days off. If it was the Christmas Season starting or what but my kids couldn't seem to focus this week. I would almost say we didn't do any school but in reality we did, it was all just kinda informal.

The only formal school we did was on Monday when we listened to our Story of the World chapter about ancient Africa. Sophie already knows the Anansi stories, we have checked them out before. They are often read at the library story time. But we checked out a number of them again and the kids have enjoyed reading so many different Anansi stories this week. We also played a few rounds of Mancala. Sophie is starting to understand the rules but hasn't got a clue about strategy. I beat her every time. Ian just likes to move the rocks around but has to always be reminded which way to go around the board. But that was good.

We actually played a lot of games this week. I don't play enough board games with my kids. And since Sophie was not interested in doing any formal school games seemed like a good alternative. They picked the games so we played Candy Land, Pretty Pretty Princess and Bob the builder Memory game. Not a lot of academics there but still had a good time playing. It is so funny that they boys love to play the princess game. They think it is so fun to put the jewelry on. Henry looks so cute with the dangly earrings and the tiara on his head! I should have grabbed the camera but I didn't. Maybe next time.

My children just wanted to play blocks and trains a lot of the time, so I thought some books on CD while they play would be nice. We listened to Stewart Little and The Cricket in Times Square this week. The kids were always anxious to hear the next disk so I guess they were listening.

Books are something my kids can't get enough of so we took 30 more books home from the library this week. We are up to 78 items out. That shocked me. How do I keep track of that many library books? But somehow we do.

We have been reading a lot of books about the 5 senses. Sophie loves the Magic School bus book that explores the senses. I think I have read that one every day this week. So we did our science I guess.

I got another of the Sir Cumference books at the library this week. Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter. Sophie has always loved these math books and has taken to this one too. I don't know if she is getting the math concepts but she loves the stories.

I had picked up some little craft projects at Michaels a few weeks ago. They are supposed to be gifts for Grandma and Grandpas from the kids. They are some little bead projects and I was surprised at how well they turned out. Sophie did some and quickly got bored and flitted off to do something else but Ian sat there and worked on threading beads for a long time. He did a great job. Henry snored through this activity, Thank goodness!

We went on lots of outings, scooter rides, and park visits and even went swimming at the YMCA. Sophie really loves swimming and there were a bunch of other kids there to play with. We need to do that more often.

So we were busy this week but no formal schooling around here this week. It works though. The kids still got in a little of everything and had fun too.

1 comment:

Ice Cream said...

It sounds like a lovely week. I often look at my shelves of games and wish i played them with the kids more often.

We also love the Sir Cumference books. Cookie didn't really get what they were trying to teach but a year later when she needed the info I just reminded her of the story and she had no problem remembering.