Monday, November 19, 2007

Movie Monday - Amazing Grace


Monday morning always seems to bring a movie review to mind. Weekends tend to be when my husband and I finally get around to watching movies. So maybe I should just make Monday my day to review a good movie. Last night we watched Amazing Grace. I had heard a lot about it when it came out in the theaters and have had it saved on my Netflix queue for ages. Well if finally was released on DVD and we got to see it. We love British Costume dramas and this one, even though it wasn't a BBC production, had all the elements that we love. A bunch of great British Actors. Ioan Gruffudd, aka Horatio Hornblower to us not Mr. Fantastic, plays the lead and does a great job. The makeup people aged him well. We always enjoy seeing all those British actors that we love in other roles. But acting aside. The story is really inspiring. William Wilberforce was a great man yet is forgotten in history books. It was great to see and learn more of his story. It is history I didn't know anything about and yet I know a lot about the time period so it was interesting for me to tie all that I already knew about British and world history in with this story.
My husband particularly enjoyed hearing Amazing Grace played at the end of the film on bagpipes. He loves bagpipes. I enjoyed learning the history behind that song. I had no idea that that was how and why it was written.

If you haven't already seen this film. It should be on your queue!

2 comments:

Bibliophile said...

We, too, had it at the top of our Netflix queue, and it came last week. We watched it on Friday night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I even rated it four stars, which is unusual for me. (Three stars is my highest rate most of the time.) It's one I could see again, for sure!

Andrea said...

I just watched this movie as well and I thought it was amazing! I had my older kids watch it too for a glimpse into history. There are rarely any good movies (that aren't animated) rated PG anymore with any worthy content. Refreshing!