Sunday, November 18, 2007

I Need a Better Sunday Ritual

Sunday is supposed to be our day of rest but they never seem to end up that way. My husband and I spend the morning fighting over computer time. We are each doing last minute things before we have to dress and leave for our 1:00 p.m. meetings. The kids are going crazy because they aren't getting enough attention, food and attention. They had toys scattered all over their rooms and were doing a lot of fighting today. We usually end up frazzled and annoyed. Not a lovely, quiet, peaceful way to enjoy the Sabbath.
We just don't have a good Sunday schedule. You would think by this time in the year we would have established some sort of routine to go with the afternoon church. We always do better when meeting are at 9:00 a.m. Our last minute things are done the night before so Sunday morning isn't quite so frantic. So with one month and a week left in this year and having afternoon schedule, I am going to give myself a deadline to have all assignments and such done by Saturday night. Then I can enjoy Sunday mornings with the kids and get them in a better frame of mind so that we can have a better church experience.
This is going to be very difficult since this week is the week I have to put together the RS newsletter and most of the people that I get stories, messages and updates from don't usually send those things until Sunday Morning. And it being a holiday week it may be difficult to get things done in time but I am going to try. I don't want to head to church again feeling like I did today. I don't think any of us arrived at church with a peaceful spirit. But thank goodness for opening hymns. I love to sing the hymns and the Thanksgiving hymns are some of my favorites. We sang "Prayer of Thanksgiving" as our opening hymn today and It just made that frantic, unrestful feeling flee. I was able to enjoy the speakers and my children actually behaved alright during the meeting. The rest of our Sabbath has been fine it is just those morning hours before church. We are going to have to make a few changes so that we can have a better Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am praying for the same discernment and quiet on Sunday mornings. Not sure, why LDS meeting time changes in the course of the year but I can see how delaying the start of quiet spiritual time could make for a difficul morning.

I am going to 8am Mass by myself right now and I am throughly enjoying it but getting out of the house is sometimes difficult.

I hope you find a peaceful solution. It seems that the only way to keep the Sabbath holy and for family rest is to pack everything else into Saturday. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

belliesue said...

We have the same battles at our home. We don't have church until 3:00 so it's really easy to put off Saturday preps onto Sunday morning, but I'm trying to turn a new leaf and do better myself. Good Luck with a great peaceful Sunday!