Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Red Poppy

Yesterday at the library I picked up a great book. I saw the title on the shelf and thought since we were seeing so many poppies about, it would a fun read. So I took it home. The book is just called "The Red Poppy" by Irmgard Lucht.
This morning we read a bunch of books about gardening and Vegetables to go along with our FIAR book, Peter Rabbit. I went to the library shelf (we have one cube in our large shelf where the library books go) and saw this book there and thought it too would kinda go along. We we all piled into the story telling chair to read through this one. I hadn't even opened it yet, which is kinda strange of me to take a book home without at least glancing through it first. But I guess even from the cover you can get at least a feel for the type of book and pictures that you will find inside.
The artwork is beautiful. And the story is lovely. We had so much fun looking for the insects and animals hidden in the grasses or even in the flowers. The story explains the whole life cycle of the poppy through words and pictures. It is a great resource for teaching about plants I think. And the close up look into the parts of the poppy were great! My kids don't always love all the non fiction books and since this one is really a picture/story book they loved it.
It appears to be out of print. Amazon isn't selling it new. So see if you Library has it. It is well worth a read.

No comments: