Saturday, April 5, 2008

Games, books, outside and a little T.V

Our week wasn't totally a normal one. I wasn't feeling top notch and often just forgot about doing school and let the kids play outside in the yard a lot. Henry was in heaven. He got to play in the dirt as much as he wanted and outside is always his preferred place to be.

We did learn a little more about Ancient China. We read a few more Chinese tales and about Confucius
Sophie loved that the teachings of Confucius are now found often in Fortune Cookies.We also broke out the Tangrams and Tangramables. We often use our pattern blocks but for some reason we don't do the tan grams very often. I think because we only have one set. There are enough pattern blocks for each of the kids to do their own but they have to take turns with the tangrams. I guess I should just buy a few more sets.

We went to the library as usual on Wednesday. I picked up a bunch of books so we could do FIAR next week. I usually like to start a book on Monday and row it that week. But I found Sophie like this.
She was already going through all the books so I figured we could just get started. We spent a few days talking about Harold and the Purple Crayon. We haven't done much more than talk about it and read some of the other great books that I got to go along with it.
I have a few simple projects planned to do for next week. So we are in the process of Rowing Harold. We are reading all sorts of books about drawing, crayons, creativity and imagination. My kids are loving all the books so far.
We have also had a great time playing a lot of games out of the game closet. We have played River Roads and Rails and made the biggest path I think we have ever made. I had to take a picture of it. I was so impressed.
By the end we had forgotten about taking turns and just tried to put as many of the tiles together as we could.
We also played Zooreeka, The game of Life and a few others this week. I guess my kids got bored since Mom was spending a lot of time sitting on the couch sipping herb teas.

Thursday was hike day and I decided we needed to go, even though I was still not feeling top notch. We always enjoy being outside, so being with friends on a hike is always a welcome diversion. We saw some beautiful flowers while we were out as well. We are going to have to add these sunflowers to Sophie's poster that she made this week (see it in our Green hour #7 post).

We also did a little math, read some of our McGuffy Reader and did a few workbook pages. My kids really must have been bored. They don't usually ask to do those. But I guess it is a good thing to be bored. They did workbook pages.

We also listened to the Classics for Kids programs about Debussy. He is one of my favorite composers. There aren't many children's books about him so I am glad we at least got in this much to introduce him. I also introduced our artist for the month, Georgia O'keeffe. Mostly we have looked through a lot of her flower pictures and talked a little about abstract art. Again there are not many children's books about the life of O'keeffe, so we are going to have to learn about her through her paintings I guess.

I also allowed a little more T.V. watching then we usually have. I borrowed the first disk of the Pink Panther classic cartoons from Netflix. I didn't know if my kids would like them but they were rivited to the t.v and were laughing and laughing. I guess I will have to get the next disk. We have almost finished all 27 of the short episodes that are on this first disk.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Have you tried to make fortune cookies with your kids? We have talked about it here and want to try one of these days.

The path is awesome. I really looked at that photo for a while. lol

We love playing the Game of Life. Kayla especially loves collecting babies. Pink ones. :)

The Pink Panther. I LOVED watching that as a kid. LOVED IT! We bought the discs finally and have had so much fun watching them. I also love that they are so short. They seem to go quickly. Have fun with them. :)

Ice Cream said...

Harold and the Purple Crayon was the first book I ever FIARed and I loved it. The kid shad fun doing the pie math and then we had purple jello, purple grapes, purple cabbage, and grape juice as a snack.

I also gave each kid a very looooong strip of paper and we drew our own rambling purple adventure.

You are such a good mommy for taking them on the hike despite being sick. I'm not often that good.

Anonymous said...

Your kids must be like mine, the minute we come home from the library they attack the library bag. Nothing is safe!

I loved the Pink Panther too! I'll have to look for those for the boys.

Gorgeous yellow flower photo :)
I hope you're feeling better.

Sonja said...

We love tangrams and Harold! My kids haven't seen Pink Panther. We'll have to look into it.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Take Care