Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Green Hour Challenge #8 Up close and Personal

I can't say we actually went out this week specifically to complete this challenge. We have spent a lot of time out of doors recently. How can we not when we have such lovely weather. I have made a point to bring along our magnifying glasses so when the moment arises I would have them handy. We have broken them out often to look closely at the pollen inside of flowers but mostly to look closely at some insects that we have found. We have looked closely at ants and lots of spiders. We even found a lady bug one day.

On our hike today the kids found a chrysalis stuck to some rocks they were climbing on.
What a great opportunity to use those magnifying glasses that I had packed along. It gives the kids something to do with their hands rather then try to pick it up.

We had a number of kids along with us on our hike so I doubt this chrysalis is going to make it. It got a bit knocked about. It is so hard to keep little hands away from something they want to examine.
On the walk back down Sophie and some of her friends caught this grasshopper.
They weren't able to get a really good look at it since it really wanted to get away. Each time they opened their hands it would jump out and they would have to catch it again.
All along the trail today we saw a plant I remember playing with in my childhood. Having grown up in the CA gold country we always called it Miner's Lettuce.
We, my siblings and I, picked it and ate it while we were out playing in the fields. I wouldn't let my kids try any since this trail is used to walk dogs. Maybe we will pick some next time and bring it home and give it a try.

Also during the past week our carport has become the nesting place of some birds. We hear them chirping and chirping whenever we step outside.
It is really hard to get a picture of birds. I have new respect for anyone who takes bird pictures because it took me so many tries to get even these few pictures of the birds.
I haven't yet identified the birds. I am really not good at birds. Flowers and trees are hard enough but birds especially these seemingly nondescript birds. I really need a field guide for just California instead of the one I have of all North America. I will see what the Library has this week.
Henry of course wanted to catch the birds and he could hear them in the trees so he had to climb up in them.
Sophie spotted this wasp nest on the carport. It doesn't look in use at the moment so I am going to knock it off and maybe we can get a closer look at it.
And while we were out walking around the block I noticed another tree that I could identify. We have tons of these Magnolia Trees all around our neighborhood. In a few months we should see the big white flowers bloom.
These are a few of our outdoor adventures during the last few days.

7 comments:

Montserrat said...

I adore magnolia trees! They readily grew in Georgia where I grew up. The chrysalis looks so cool!

Tammy said...

What a great green hour challenge! Katie has a bird book specifically for Idaho, and we really like it. It's so much easier to sift through a handful of birds instead of all the types found all over the whole country.

Barb said...

I think the bird is a house sparrow...or some kind of sparrow anyway. I suggest the Audubon Society Field Guide to California as a quick and easy guide to a little of everything in California. It is what I carry in my daypack. It usually will get me close to just about any ID.

I love the photos from this trip and I think your family is a great example of how nature study just becomes part of your life. I love that you are carrying the magnifying lens all the time..perfect.

Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Texasholly said...

What a fun day. I love that first picture...too cute.

Ice Cream said...

That chrysalis is lovely!

How funny seeing his legs sticking out of the leaves as he climbs the tree. So cute.

Ms Eva said...

What a beautiful chrysalis! :D

Anonymous said...

Like Barb, I think the bird is some sort of sparrow (probably a house-sparrow). Over here we call any bird that's as nondescript as this an "LBJ" (Little Brown Job)! Always gives our son a giggle!
~Chrissy