Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mud Massacre

It has been a few months since I allowed water in the yard. My kids still know how to get filthy without water but give my kids a little water and they know how to totally cover themselves with MUD, LOTS OF MUD!
I made the mistake and went out to water my tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Then I noticed that part of the lawn was looking a little green so I put a little water on it. Quickly Henry jumped on the chance to have water and started to play in it. And before I knew it we had full on MUD. Toy dumptrucks hauled the mud around the yard. Shovels scooped it and little hands formed it into mud pies.
I really don't love the mud. But I have accepted the fact that my kids love it and will play in it every chance they get.
I just really don't enjoy having to clean it up in my house.
I usually try to catch the kids before they come inside and hose them off a bit. Or at least isolate the mud to the bathroom. But today that didn't happen.
I had just finished scrubbing Sophie in the shower. She of course had joined her brothers in the mud fun. She was clean and headed to her room to get dressed. The boys were still outside having the time of their lives so I thought I would head to the kitchen to start something for dinner. This was not to happen. Henry decided that he needed to tell me something. Absolutely covered from head to foot in wet dirt he came into the house, through my bedroom (which is where the door to the yard is), the living room and into the kitchen.
I found foot prints like this...
and this....all along the path he took.
I quickly grabbed him and took him straight to the bathroom to shower him off. Ian of course had to come in then too. So both boys were striped down and put in the shower. This was another mistake on my part. I left them there for a bit and went to clean up the muddy footprints all through the house. I could hear the boys laughing and giggling in the shower. When I made it back to the bathroom a few minutes later I found the bathroom covered with muddy water. The ceiling was even dripping.
They had been throwing their wet, soggy, clothes at each other, at the ceiling and all around the bathroom.
I try to look at events like this as a good thing. It makes me HAVE to clean up the bathroom. I Have to mop the floor, wipe the counters and shower walls. At least my bathroom is now looking pretty good. I also have some squeaky clean kids for the moment.

9 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I was about to start commenting about all my wonderful memories as a child playing in the mud... and then I saw what you had to clean up. EGAD! I like playing in the mud but I HATE cleaning it up. The fact that your kids are still alive shows what a good mommy you are. =)

My kids haven't got a hold of the water yet, but they don't need to. The ground is wet all the time from the rain so anytime they go out they come in with black bottoms, black hems on their pants, black feet, black hands, and black faces.

Tammy said...

Oh my. What a mess. lol

The mud looks like great fun, though. :) There's not many things that can compare to making mud pies!

Cheshire Cat said...

What a messy lot! Those little muddy boys. It sure was fun making mud pies.

Sophie

Bibliophile said...

What a day! Thanks for the tale of the muddy fun. I especially like the muddy-clothes fight in the bathroom. Great for everyone except Mom!

Angela said...

WOW- you are much more tolerant than I! However, that would be cute to do in paint...those little footprints of mud are adorable

Montserrat said...

Wow, what a sight!I think mud draws kids like a magnet.

Malissa said...

Looks like a bunch of messy fun! We let the kids run in the garden at the end of the season last year with the hose. And, of course they got into a full on mud fight (I think their dad instigated it). But, it's one of those memories that they still talk about- as I'm sure your kids will in the future. And,I'm sure the mud all over the house will be a treasured memory for you!

Gina said...

You are better than me. My little ones have never even had the opportunity. I am way too clean. Lucky them, though not lucky to have to clean. Good for you!

Sonja said...

I think it's great that you documented this. You can show it to your kids as a reminder of how much you love them. :)