Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I guess we are on Spring Break or....

We can count this as a field trip, I guess. The kids just wanted to go to the beach. Sophie has been asking to go to the beach for weeks and weeks. Today we headed to Santa Cruz to get a little fresh sea air and visit a small aquarium.
Here are the bones of a blue whale. Wow is that a big animal!

The kids loved being able to pick up a few Whale bones.

The dolphins were a big hit too.
They didn't jump up out of the water and perform like they do in dolphin shows. These dolphins are being studied not trained. But they did poke their head up when they heard us come near their tank.
Sophie could have stayed right here all day. She loved being able to touch all the sea stars.

Henry wasn't very gentle while touching all the different sea creatures. He loved being able to pick them up and point out their mouths.

There were also some sea anemones, hermit crabs, sea cucumbers, and a few other creatures to pick up and hold.

This sea star Ian is holding has 6 legs instead of the usual 5.

It was a great day at the beach.
I think they had a good time. :)

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh, I am so jealous, so jealous. In a good way of course. lol.

Looks like SO MUCH fun!

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun! I think your "small" aquarium has a lot more than our definitely small aquarium does. My kids would love it, especially the whale bones.

Angela said...

Very fun...I have been out of site, out of mind...so I thought I would pop by and see what fun things you have been doing! Very fun bones, my boys would have a blast!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Wow, what a fun field trip!

Ice Cream said...

The whale skeleton and bones are just too cool. And your beach looks like heaven to play in with that tall grass. Isn't spring great?

Malissa said...

Your kids look like they are really enjoying themselves!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how much fun! I love Santa Cruz. My husband and I went camping at Henry Cowell Redwood SP a couple of years ago and had the best sushi ever in Santa Cruz. We have been wanting to take our kids there ever since. If we go we will have to head to the aquarium.

Sonja said...

Beautiful pictures! It does look like your kids had fun. You can't go wrong with whale bones. :)