Thursday, April 24, 2008

Green Hour Challenge #10 Outdoor Picnic

I know the Challenge for the week is to go on an outdoor picnic but somehow I forgot to photograph that part of our outing. We went to one of our many parks and sat at a picnic table and gave everyone a sandwich and some apples. We sat listening to the birds around us and the kids playing on the playground as we ate. I made the mistake of telling the kids I brought along a little lunch for the birds too. I had packed a small bag of bird seed for each of them. They quickly dropped their food and grabbed the bags and went out to try to feed the birds.
They went and scattered some seeds under a tree where we had seen a few birds before. Then I told them they needed to come back to the table and watch to see if any birds came to eat their offering. They wouldn't come if we were too near.
While we finished our lunch we watched as some black birds came and nibbled on some of the seeds the kids had scattered.
When finished we took a little walk out around the grassy area of the park to see what we could see.
I was surprised to see these cute little yellow birds. I guess I haven't paid much attention to birds because I hadn't ever seen these little guys before. I think they are some kind of Gold Finch. I would have to get a better look at them. I only saw them from below.
While on our stroll around the park we noticed this tree with these strange balls on the tree. I haven't been able to figure out what kid of tree it is.We of course had to scatter a few more seeds around this tree as well. I am thinking it is some kind of oak tree but I could be all wrong. I am so novice at this tree identification. I haven't found any tree, in any of the field guides we have, that has those balls on it. A lot of the trees in our neighborhoods aren't native to the area so give me a little more trouble sometimes.

It is hard to miss these very friendly birds in the park. They will come right up to the table if they know you have food for them.

And since we seem to have shifted our focus a bit to birds recently I thought I would include some of the other birds and things we saw today on our walk.
As we walked out of our drive way, Sophie pointed out the morning dove that was sitting on the neighbors roof.
We had seen one the other day while out "chalking" on the driveway. I had pointed it out and told her it was a dove. We had gone inside and looked it up in our field guide to find out exactly which kind. Sophie remembered it was called a morning dove.
While out walking we found the cutest little pine cones covering someone's driveway.
We collected a number of them and filled our pockets with them to take home. I have relented and we bring some of our treasures into the house. There is a glass mason jar filled with small rocks, cones and nuts that we find.
Here is the tree they are from. I will have to try to identify it more specifically then fir or spruce. Some kind of conifer tree is all I know. I may need to go walk by it again.
Henry found this little rollie pollie pill bug on the side walk and wouldn't put it down. He took it home with him and played with it for awhile.
Poor little rolled up critter.

Californian Poppies are still going strong in our neighborhood!
These really looked lovely in the wild patch of someone's yard mixed in with the purple flowers.

11 comments:

Barb said...

I enjoyed reading your Green Hour experience....I'm glad you were able to get our for a picnic. :)

I think the yellow birds are American goldfinches. The tree with balls looks like some sort of oak to me. The purple flowers look like vetch, we have lots of it around where we live too. It makes a great color combination doesn't it?

You all looked like you enjoyed your day...I'm so glad.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Melissa said...

Another wonderful nature outing! So great that you and the children are learning to identify more and more. Thank you for sharing your beautiful day.

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Bibliophile said...

I loved your photo of the California poppies, so I added it to my iPhoto collection. If you don't want to share it, let me know and I will remove it. I just love your nature photos!

Malissa said...

We have those balls in the oak trees at our local park too. They are called galls and are formed by wasps. I found a link that has some interesting info about it. http://treenotes.blogspot.com/2007/03/galls-on-young-pin-oak.html

Ice Cream said...

I can't think of a better way to welcome Spring in than by doing this Green Hour Challenge.

Anonymous said...

We have lots of goldfinches, and they sure do brighten up the yard! Thanks for your wonderful post about your day. And I LOVE those poppies!

Blessings,
Jamie

A and C from GA said...

Great PICS!!! I love your children's excitement for scattering the seed and feeding the birds! Angie in GA

Montserrat said...

I love, love, love that last picture!

I forgot to take pictures of our picnic too. I was too busy eating!

Robin said...

Hi!
I found your blog through the Green Hour challenges at Barb's. And I've been entertained all morning!
I love all your nature adventures with your kids. They are so lucky to have such a patient, giving mom!
I have to agree with Malissa that I think those balls are actually galls. What's really cool is that you have so many in one tree!
And we have tons of goldfinches in our yard. In fact, I posted about them a couple of days ago. I bought a new feeder and they seem to LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

What a great nature study. I am struggling to learn the names of the things we are observing too, but in a way it is kind of empowering when you do.

I love the pictures of the pinecones and the poppies.

Tammy said...

California poppies are so beautiful......

We haven't done the picnic challenge yet, but I'm going to have to remember your idea of the birdseed when we do go. I *think* we have some in the shed somewhere. :)

And isn't that nice when the kids remember the names of the birds they've seen???? These green hour challenges have just been wonderful!