Friday, July 13, 2007

Oatmeal Pancakes

I have been trying to make things from scratch lately. Rather then use Bisquick I have been making pancakes without a mix. I love the idea of making Wheat pancakes and our personal favoritie is Oatmeal pancakes. A little more fiber and nutrients than pancake mix. Here is the recipe that I found for Oatmeal pancakes. It is from a Gold Medal flour cookbook so I am going to type it exactly as it is found. For our family of 5 I usually double it and there is plenty for all of us.



1/2 cup of Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup of buttermilk
1/4 cup of milk
1 Tablespoon of sugar
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 egg

1. Beat all ingredients in a medium bowl with a hand mixer until smooth
2. Grease a heated griddle, if necessary, with shortening, using a pastry brush
3. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle.
4. Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown
Serve with applesauce if desired.

** I rarely have buttermilk so I substitute the butter milk with clabbered milk. Usually the first thing I do is measure my 3/4 cup of milk and add a Tablespoon of Lemon juice (You can also use vinegar but lemon juice just sounds better in pancakes to me.). Let it sit for a few minutes while you measure out all the other ingredients. Add the clabbered milk and then mix it up. Leave out the extra 1/4 cup of milk when usuing clabbered milk.**

My kids love to make these pancakes with me. They ask for these pancakes for dinner sometimes or even afternoon snacks. Ian loves them with Nutella on them. Sophie loves them topped with big chucks of Strawberry Jam.

No comments: