Thursday, June 24, 2010

Buckwheat cakes

I have started experimenting with different grains. I have been using a lot of oatmeal and wheat in my baking but have starting baking using rice and even bean flours too. One I have wanted to try for awhile is buckwheat. We have been listening to a lot of old traveling west music and in the song O'Susanna it says that she has a buckwheat cake in mouth. So I know they have been using buckwheat for a long time, especially for pancakes.

I found some buckwheat groats at the Whole Foods Market and decided to give them a try. I ground them up in my grinder to make a nice flour and found a recipe online.

This is the one I followed.

Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes

3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup milk (I used clabbered milk, 1 3/4 cups of milk with 2 T lemon juice in it and let is sit for a bit, instead of the buttermilk and milk.)
1 T Honey
2 large eggs
2 T canola oil

You can add a cup of blueberries if you like or just put them on top which is what we did instead of syrup. We have also started using Blue Agave sweetner instead of always using expensive real Maple syrup on our pancakes.

I really enjoyed these pancakes and have made them a few more times since I ground up enough of the buckwheat flour. They have a different texture and a sort of nutty flavor.

I made my regular old Oatmeal pancakes for breakfast today and I have to admit they tasted a little bland to me after having buckwheat pancakes the last few weeks. They have a little more flavor so you don't have to have as much syrup or topings.

I am going to keep experimenting with recipes because I have seen some that use rice flour instead of the wheat. Not that I have anything against wheat and we aren't on a gluten free diet. I just want to add a little more variety to what grains we are eating.

No comments: