Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hiking - Green Hour Challenge #3

I still don't have a copy of the Handbook of Nature Study. It should come this week, I hope. But we still went out to enjoy nature. Some friends had set up a little hike and invited us to go along.
There are a lot of great little hiking trails around where we live. Our friend picked one that was short enough for all our small kids to go on and for us to enjoy. I thought this was a great opportunity to do our Challenge for the week.

I have to admit it didn't turn out to be the best outing to do a lesson or try to get the kids to stop and look or listen to anything. There were a lot of small kids on this hike and that means there is a lot of running around and playing. I had trouble just keeping up with my little guys.
The view from the top of the hill was really nice. The kids loved looking out over the valley and trying to find their houses or other buildings.

Sophie loved finding little hiding places in the bushes at the top.
On the hike down the hill the boys picked up a lot of sticks, threw a lot of sticks and hit anything and everything with sticks.

There were lots of opportunities for climbing. One of the things Sophie said when I asked her what her favorite part of the hike was that she loved climbing and sitting on the big logs.

I did attempt to have Sophie draw something about the hike. I didn't give her any more direction then I gave her a black sheet of paper and asked her to draw me something about our outing. This is what she came up with.
We didn't actually see any birds but we did hear some. And we did see a lot of trees.
Here is my drawing of our outing. I started it and Sophie decided to help me out with it. It turned out a little messy but still kinda gives you the feeling of the trail.
Not too bad for a beginning, and a great way to spend a few hours.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!! I love snow and all, but I'm so ready to go on a good green hike!

I like Sophie's pictures. I'm hoping I'll get a good drawing from A this week. He's getting more and more willing to try if I don't pressure him. I like yours too! I really want to learn to draw. I really don't know anything about it.

Tammy said...

What beautiful photos of your hike!!!! It looks like you all had so much fun. :)

Barb said...

I think you were very successful this week. You got the kids out on a wonderful trail, they spent some time on, under, around, and with the trees and your daughter made a journal page with her own memories of the day.

I can remember when my troops were little like yours. It was an accomplishment just to get them all going on a hike in the same direction. :)

Thanks for linking,
Barb-Harmony Art MOm

Anonymous said...

What a great place for a hike! We would have loved to have come along - but my son is alot older than all the kids in the photos. He's still into sticks, though - what is it about boys and sticks?

Lovely photos and great drawings, too.

Keep enjoying the great outdoors!

~Chrissy

Ice Cream said...

I can't wait for it to get dry and warm enough for us to start hiking again. Though I may not be up to it at that point with my belly getting so big =)

Sonja said...

It looks like you live in a beautiful area! Your pictures are great! I had to smile at the boys and sticks comment. It's a universal thing, I'm sure. :) My daughter, Elise, loves to find small secret places and climb trees too.
We plan on are starting Green Hour this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful and GREEN photos! Your nature outing sounds very successful. Yes, it is definitely more of a challenge to encourage quietness with all those little ones. But just getting them out there is wonderful! I too had to laugh at the boy/stick thing, yep definitely universal!

Happy Nature Adventuring,

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Tina in WA said...

What a wonderful hike! I love seeing all those little ones on the trails.

Great journaling job!

~Tina

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Wow, what a great hike!

Ms Eva said...

What a wonderful hike! Kudos to you for getting your little ones to actually draw something - I didn't succeed there this time. Next time! :)