Saturday, March 8, 2008

Reviewing our week.

It doesn't feel like a really structured week. So maybe if I report on what we did it will sound like more then it feels like we did.
History - Read more about ancient Rome. Sophie and Ian loved the "You wouldn't want to be...." books. Our library had both the one about the Roman soldier as well as the Roman Gladiator. So we read those together and I know Dad has read them to them again at another time.
We also peeked at David Macauley's book City which is about building a Roman city. We haven't made it all the way through yet. We have been reading Detectives in Togas as an afternoon read aloud. Sophie really enjoys it and I have read about 3 chapters a day all week but we still haven't finished it. I am surprised at home much everyday Roman life we are learning from reading this funny story. (When looking it up on Amazon, I just found out there is a sequel. That one should be fun too.) While I read aloud Sophie has been coloring in her Life in Ancient Rome coloring book.

The boys are either playing with blocks, Knights, or Legos while I read. At times it is hard to read over the noise they make. I even banished them to their room once or twice because they got too loud and I ended up yelling the story so Sophie could hear. I really need to work on reading aloud to Sophie but still including the boys somehow.

Here we took a break from reading and built an aquaduct with our legos.


Science - Again we have spent a lot of time out of doors and did our Green hour Challenge. We have read more Thornton Burgess stories which are always nice. But I can't say we have really studied anything specific this week. I have done some more planning for our small garden which we should plant in a week or two.

Math - Sophie hasn't done a lot of her Singapore workbook this week. We have been playing a few Math games. Sum swamp is always a favorite for Math time. I am surprised at how well Ian can add. He is learning a lot just from watching me try to teach Sophie how to add.

Language Arts - We are learning the poem Dancing from First Language Lessons. Sophie illustrated it one day. We read it again another day and pointed out the verbs and nouns. We acted it out once too this week.

I already explained what we have been doing in Music - Mozart is a great subject. We have read a few books. Listened to a lot of music and watched the Magic Flute. We even had a children's video about Mozart that we watched too.

Art - I introduced our artist for the month, Seurat, by first reading Katie's Sunday Afternoon by James Mayhew. We have always enjoyed these Katie books. Sophie loves the idea of jumping into paintings and such. I also copied a coloring page from my Masterpieces coloring book. We looked up the painting in the Seurat art book and she went to work coloring it in.
Later in the month some time we will get around to doing a painting in the pointillism. I never realized how scientific Seurat's artwork is. We are going to have to do some experiments in color to go along with our study of his artwork.

That is about it. I can't recall anything else we did that I would call academic work. The kids of course helped me cook and do laundry as well as clean up their rooms. Which are great skills they need to learn too.

7 comments:

Bibliophile said...

It sounds like you're really getting into the Roman scene! I like the Lego aqueduct--good thinking! Home schooling is going well, it seems.

Anonymous said...

Sophie colors so well! And I love the aqueduct too. My boys still make siege engines from their bricks. It's amazing what they remember building for history.

Tammy said...

I know some weeks I feel like we haven't actually "accomplished" much. When I write it all down, though, I am always reassured.

It looks like you guys did a ton of work and had a lot of fun while you were doing it.

Sum Swamp is a favorite math game of Kayla's. Have you ever tried Muggins?

Ice Cream said...

We just went to the traveling art exhibit of Roman art from the Louvre and it was amazing! I will blog about it later (including what an adventure it was taking all the kids).

Love the aquaduct.

Sonja said...

I find so many great books at your place! Thanks for sharing them!
I also really like the aquaduct and think that Sophie is a terrific colorer.

Angela said...

This looks like a fun week...Do you have anything posted for what you are doing with the composers?

Dana Leeds said...

Looks like a great week of learning! We recently studied Mozart. We really enjoyed a focus on The Magic Flute while studying about him. You can find some of our resources, etc, on my blog - just use the "search" feature.

I'm really enjoying your blog and plan on browsing some tonight. :-)