Saturday, March 29, 2008

Raisins for Sharks


I am sitting here at the computer reading blogs this morning. Henry, who just finished his breakfast, has been climbing in my lap and then starts to wiggle wanted to get down, then he wanted up and then down. I think he just wantes attention. He has been telling me that he needs medicine. I think he likes the taste of Children's Tylenol or something.
When I ask him where it hurt he says "fish... here" and points to his tummy.
I ask him what fish were doing in his tummy. He says "swimming". Then he adds "Shark".
"A shark in your tummy?" I ask. "yeah, big one" he replies.
I ask "How did a shark get in your tummy?".
He sticks his whole fist in his mouth and mumbles "mouth".
"Really... you swallowed a big shark?".
"No, little one" he replies while showing me with his hands how small the shark is.
Then he adds... "need medicine". I tell him medicine may make the shark grow bigger.
He is very insistent that he needs medicine.
I tell him a bath may be all he needs to make the shark go away. He won't hear of it at all.
Finally I ask him if he needs to feed it.
I offer him some left over breadsticks, a granola bar and finally a box of raisins.
He turned down each one until I got to the raisins and he gave a little cheer.
He walked with me to get a little box of raisins.
He ate it very quickly and then came to tell me that the shark flew away. Evidently the raisins helped.

4 comments:

Bibliophile said...

This fish story is SO funny! It sounds like Henry, though. He has a good imagination! What a guy!

Ice Cream said...

I'm so gald you recorded this for hilarity, I mean for posterity. This is precious.

Montserrat said...

Great story! Don't you love the thought processes of kids and how they find what they do know to explain what they don't?

Tammy said...

Ya gotta love raisins.

I loved the story. He's a cutie!