Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Minerva Teichert



I look back on my BYU years with fondness. I had a great time during college. I don't think I appreciated all that BYU had to offer me. I didn't go the the MOA very often when I was there. I was busy doing other things I guess.
I got the BYU alumni magazine in the mail yesterday and on the cover is a picture of some cowboys painted by Minerva Teichert. I remember walking through the halls of the Joseph Smith building and seeing her art work on the walls. I always loved her style and the way she approached the subjects.
In the BYU magazine they talk about her and about the exhibition that is now showing in the BYU Museum of Art. I would love to be able to go and see her paintings. I will have to content myself with what I can find online and that are included in the magazine. Oh to be a college student again and getting to see an exhibit like this for FREE.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you remember? We were too busy working at BO, and making Zuka juice runs to spend time doing cultural things. I have had some of the same regrets. I was so concentrated on just getting done with school that I didn't take time to do once-in-a-lifetime things like study abroad, or a semester at BYU Hawaii! I wish I had taken off the blinders and saw there was more to life than just getting that degree.

Jenni said...

Sorry, I'm not anonymous, I'm Jen. (New to the whole blog thing)

Montserrat said...

Minerva Teichert is one of my favorite painters. I love her style. I want a big picture of hers to hang in my entryway. We have been fortunate enough to live in two different wards with two of her grandsons and their families. It's very interesting to hear their side of the BYU - Minerva Teichert deal that was struck when BYU acquired all her paintings. Let's just say the Teicherts do not like BYU at all. ;D

I so want to see the exhibit too. I'm kicking myself for not taking advantage of my brother's discount when he worked at the museum.

Bibliophile said...

When I received the BYU Magazine yesterday, I immediately sent an e-mail to the magazine asking about purchasing a copy of the painting on the cover. I also have a book of Minerva Teichert paintings, but to see them in person would be terrific! She captures the essence of an event without reproducing every detail. I like the Impressionist painters very much.

Sonja said...

oh! oh! Not to rub it in...but-
I DID get to go to the exhibit! :D

It really is amazing. So is her story. I also was in a ward with her one of her granddaughters. I haven't heard the story about the BYU deal, but I am glad to have been able to see her paintings there.