Thursday, January 31, 2008

Call me Crazy

I don't know what has possessed me to add yet another thing to my schedule. I guess I just love feeling super busy. Either that or I just love getting away and doing something for me once in awhile. But two weeks ago I joined a band. No not a garage band but a symphonic band. I have a friend who has been playing in this band for years and she invited me to join. So I went last week to check it out.
When I was in the 4th grade I started playing the flute. I played for years all through elementary and high school. While in high school the band teacher often had flute players switch to other instruments, usually a brass instrument which weren't as popular. So I played the Euphonium the last two years of high school. I didn't play anything in college. I kept meaning to take a class or something but it just never worked out. Besides you had to audition which I never wanted to do. So, I haven't played my flute since my Sophomore year of high school. I have had a flute and it has moved around with me all over the place. Last year I even paid to get it refurbished. I needed new corks and pads. So for almost a year I have had a flute in perfect condition just waiting for me to play.
When I went to my first band practice and tried to play the music, I was very overwhelmed. The music is way harder than anything I ever had to play in high school. And to try anything this hard after all these years....let's just say I felt like I was drowning. Last night I went again, after practicing a little during the past week, and had a much better experience. I was actually able to play rather than just sit and stare at the pages covered with notes so high that I didn't know the fingering for them and so fast that I was getting the first and last but missed all the ones in the middle.
We have 4 Free concerts a year. I am glad that my kids will be able to see mom perform. It should be fun, I will learn a lot, and I don't have to wear an outfit like these below anymore.
This is an actual picture of my high school's band. When I was there the uniforms had a yellow cape on one shoulder and a yellow plume or "chicken" as we called it, on the hat. I won't miss the uniforms at all or the marching for that matter.

5 comments:

Ice Cream said...

Good for you for being brave enough to do this. Every now and then I am able to get into something that takes me out of the home and I always love it.

missliss said...

Good for you! That's exciting. There's nothing like the feeling of hard work paying off. I hope I get to see one of your concerts. :-)

missliss said...

Oh, and btw, your mention of the "chicken" made me laugh out loud. Oh the memories!

Olivia said...

Good for you! I always think it awesome when busy moms make time to build one of their talents. I hope you end up loving it as much as you once did.

belliesue said...

Way to go Flakey! I think if I tried to pick up the clarinet again the band would kindly or not so kindly invite me to be in charge of the program printing instead. Keep up the good work!