Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Animal Classification

To further our lesson on animal classification we decided to gather up all the animals around our house and put them into their groups.



Amphibians, fish and birds are not very plentiful in our home. And there are no stuffed reptiles lurking in dark places either. We tend to collect mammals. I sure it is the same in most everyone's house. Somehow those stuffed animals are more fun with furry bodies to pet and cuddle.

Even with so many Sophie can't seem to part with any of them. She says they are all necessary. She does actually play with most of them so they stick around.

We did a little better when we broke out the plastic animals and put them into groups.


There was actually a group made for invertebrate. I was surprised we had even these few. I didn't even try to break them into their subcategories yet. We haven't really studied the invertebrates yet. So they just got clumped all together.













This was a fun activity. The kids loved doing school this way. Sophie had a great time dividing her animals into their groups. Even Ian was very helpful. He could tell you that sharks were fish and whales were mammals. I was impressed. He does listen to a lot of what we read. We went through a big ocean stage with Sophie so we studied whales and sharks a lot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely wonderful idea. I marked your post for my shared items.

You have so many animals! I'm happy to report that we don't have quite so many. Citcat doesn't get too attached to them and I am able to resist buying them but at the moment I am regretting not having so many. We do however have lots of plastic animals, bugs and sea life.

Here is a link to card game that I printed out for animal classification.

http://www.montessorimaterials.org/science.htm#hum

Great idea!

Montserrat said...

This is an excellent idea! We have a ton of puppets that my aunt found for our puppet theater that would be perfect for this. We even have spiders and scorpions. Creepy looking puppets.

my5wolfcubs said...

What a great idea!!! We have lots of animals too...even that ostrich you have in the picture! :)
Lee

Bibliophile said...

You are certainly a creative teacher! I had no idea that you had so many animals.

Ice Cream said...

Thank you for this great idea. We are doing animal classification tomorrow in co-op and now I'm going to bring all of our plastic animals.