Monday, January 28, 2008

Didn't hate it.

I went into this viewing of Mansfield Park not expecting to like it. From the articles I had read and the pictures and even clips I had seen I wasn't impressed. Last night I tuned in to watch this movie because it is Jane Austen and I can't pass up the opportunity to see an Austen flick. I was fully ready to just pick it apart and point out all the flaws.
I can't say that I loved this production but I didn't hate it either. I thought Billy Piper looked totally wrong for the part of Fanny Price. The hair and eyebrows were bothersome. But she did a decent acting job. I think the writing wasn't that good and I actually didn't recognize many actual Austen lines. I don't know Mansfield Park as well as I know other Austen novels so that isn't surprising. From what I do remember from the book is that there is a whole lot more to the story then what was shown last night.
I also don't remember Lady Bertram playing matchmaker. If I remember right Edmund's family was against the match. I could be wrong.... maybe I need to read this book again. It has been a long time.

So I don't totally recommend this one but if you are an Austen fan you really should at least view it once. It could have been a lot worse.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I turned off this movie after about ten minutes of viewing. I still have it on DVR, but I don't know that I will ever watch it. The woman who played Fanny Price always looked like a floozy. She didn't have the intelligence or wardrobe for the role. Her clothes were always "poor relation." The Bertrams were particularly repulsive characters, and knowing their eventual actions, I just couldn't get interested in them. This is one novel by Jane Austen that I will probably never read again.

Karen said...

Sorry...this is Bibliophile. Karen had been using my computer, obviously.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I want to see this one too. I'm writing it on my list now.