Saturday, April 13, 2013

Heiress of Winterwood - a Review

I wouldn't call myself a Janeite exactly but I certainly love Austen's novels and often read other Regency set novels. I went on a Georgette Heyer readathon last Summer. I must have read about 10-15 of her books over the course of a few months. When I saw a regency set book listed on Booksneeze to review, I couldn't help but be drawn to that title. 

The Heiress of Winterwood by Sarah Ladd seemed to fit right into that regency genre. It had the feel of a Heyer novel with it's twists to the plot and bit of adventure to go along with the romance.   I admit the characters weren't as well developed as Austen or Heyer were able to portray in their novels. I would have liked to know some of those characters a bit more. I may have felt more for them when they got into trouble if they weren't such cardboard characters. 

Thomas Nelson is the publisher of this book so you know it is a Christian novel. The scriptures used throughout were, to me, a nice addition. Amelia turned to the Psalms a lot in her distress. It made me want to revisit the Psalms again. I wish Graham's character had been a little more filled out. We could have gotten more of a glimpse of what he went through to change from the wild sailor of his youth to the man of character that he is portrayed to be in this book.

The book is worth a read. A very engaging plot that will keep you turning the pages (or swiping the screen on your ereader). 

No comments: