Monday, July 9, 2012

Finally getting around to posting about the 4th

Sorry this is now almost a week after the fact but I finally uploaded my pictures and so I am finally going to post them.

Usually our church has a pancake breakfast and flag raising which we attend on the morning of the 4th. This year it didn't happen. I guess we don't have an activities committee anymore so things like this sort of fall through the cracks.

So instead of doing the usual, I went and played with my band in a parade and left the kids at home to play. My husband wasn't overly excited about sitting in the sun for a parade the kids thought it would be more fun to stay home and play Wii and such. So I went to the parade with some of my bandmates and had a nice morning. It was sunny but luckily not scorching hot.


When I got home I decided the kids needed to get out so I took them to a local park where they had a banjo band playing. It was fun to sit and listen to patriotic music as well as just some fun tunes played by a bunch of banjos.

Uncle Sam even made an appearance.

And what is more American than pizza. We splurged and went to get pizza for dinner. 

The kids were most excited about what we had planned for the end of the day and evening. After our dinner we headed to a local park with our blankets and camp chairs to claim a spot of grass for the firework show. We arrived 2 hours early. The sun wasn't even close to setting yet but that grassy field was already covered with lots of other families with picnics enjoying the evening.
It was a long 2 hour wait, but once the sun set the show began. We haven't ever taken our kids to see fireworks on the 4th of July. We were content to stay home and watch some on t.v. and go to bed like normal.  The kids were very excited to get to stay up late for this show.
They "WOW'd" through the 20 minute show.
And when it was over we had a long walk back to our car
Sophie said "We waited 2 hours for that?  I don't think it was worth our time."
They did love seeing the fireworks but really didn't enjoy the long 2 hour wait with little to do.  But at least they can now say they saw fireworks.

 

No comments: