Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Top Ten Tuesday - Things I Want

My symphonic band's Christmas concert is coming up and we have a number of fun Christmas songs that we are playing. One member of our band arranged a version of "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". This song always makes me laugh. If you don't know this song here is one version.

Over the years there have been things I have wanted and only that item will do. But I have hopefully gotten a little better about distinguishing between real needs and wants.

I was talking to my Mom yesterday about gifts that each one of us may want or need. She likes to get all her shopping done early and since where she lives there isn't much shopping she does a lot of it online. She doesn't like to wait until the last minute. My husband and I have also been talking about making a list of all the things we need or want personally or for the family. So today I am sitting down and just listing a few (Lets see if I can come up with 10) realistic wants that I wouldn't mind finding under the Christmas tree with my name on it.

1. A new food processor - This was one of the things I told my mom I needed since I just killed mine last week. I had a very tiny little chopper and burnt the motor out trying to chop up basil leaves for pesto. Luckily I did the pine nuts and garlic first so they were allready chopped up. The leaves did alright in the blender but a good food processor would be nice. Especially now that I know how much better fresh made pesto can be. It isn't difficult but I do need a food processor to make it as well as a bunch of others. I don't have much space so a small one would be nice.


2. Glass measuring cups - I have a glass 1 cup measuring cup but I would love to have a 2 and a 4 cup measuring cup. I have a plastic 2 cup that has a crack and if you don't poor the liquid in right after pouring then some leaks out. Plus I want to be able to just put it in the microwave to warm up the liquids.


3. Earrings - I have never been a material girl that wants fancy jewelry. Where would I wear them? But I am still wearing the earrings I bought in china town in NY while on my mission or some that I bought myself in college. I keep looking for a nice pair and haven't found any that I really like and want to spend money on. Maybe I need to check out etsy to see what I can find. But once I start, I know, I will sit here for a long time just looking and looking at all the beautiful things on there.
A necklace to match would also be nice.

4. Beans Cookbook - I have been going through my food storage recently trying to figure out what we need more of. Those big #10 cans of beans just always seem to sit there. I really need to learn how to use them and get my kids to eat them. Here is one cookbook that was recommended to me and it has been on my amazon wish list so I wouldn't forget about it but that is as far as I have gotten. So if there are any better recipe books for dried beans, I would love to know about it.


5. Bed Pillows - After Sophie's sickness, all over my bed, last week I have taken a good look at my bed pillows. I ran them through the washer and dryer and now they are lumpy. The kids usually end up with the hand me downs from us so maybe all of us could use new pillows to sleep on. Maybe this year instead of pajamas for the kids they will all receive a new pillow with a case that actually covers the pillow and will stay on. Some pillow cases just never stay put and half the pillow sticks out of one end.


I am only half way through my list and I can't think of any more realistic wants at the moment.

How about a few dream ones or at least a lot more expensive ones.

6. Camera - I got a new camera for my birthday about 2 years ago so I should be happy with the one I have but about 3 weeks ago my camera was dropped or bumped and the little door that holds the batteries in is broken. It won't stay shut. I went online to see if you can just order that part and couldn't find anything. The camera works find as long as I hold that flap shut. This is difficult when you are trying to use the zoom or change settings at all. I have rubber bands wrapped around it holding it shut most of the time but it just doesn't do the job that well. But the camera does still work so I haven't asked for a new one yet. I guess I get what is coming when I let my kids take pictures.


7. A new couch - I have wanted a real couch for years. When we got married we bought a futon because that way it can be a bed for guests when they come. The futon has come in handy and has had many different guests sleeping on it. Living in the bay area you get a lot of people that pass through. But I would really like to have a nice comfy couch to lounge on.

8. I pod Touch - This is what my Mom said she wanted but I too have had a secret desire for one or these for awhile. I really have no need for one. I don't even have a cell phone or any mp3 player for that matter. With little item I could read and answer my email while sitting in the park or look up a map for a place I can't seem to find. Or have a game the kids can play while waiting in line someplace. No it certainly isn't a need. But it would be a fun toy to have. Very low on the priority list!

9. Kitchen Aid Mixer - I know many people that consider this a must have. And believe me I would love to have one. It is even somewhat of a realistic want. I just don't have space for it. I will have to stick to my little hand mixer and my hefty muscles to stir and mix my breads and cookies.


10. 24 inch iMac - We have been using our powerbook for about 5 years now. It was supposed to be temporary. The laptop wasn't supposed to remain our main computer. When our PC died we didn't want to replace it with another PC we love Mac but didn't have the funds for it. We still don't, which is why it is a dream wish. Working on a laptop has been nice. We take our computer with us when we go on trips but working on a laptop means we are a bit hunched over and if you sit too long at the computer you notice your back really starts to hurt. So maybe one day one of these will make it to our house. A 2nd computer would really be nice!


So this year I am not expecting any Hippopotamus' but if you plan to get me anything here are a few helpful hints and what I have my eye on. Now I need your lists too so I can get my shopping done.

5 comments:

Kodelle said...

I am also dreaming of a beautiful Kitchenaide stand mixer.

Angela said...

I am hoping you get the MAC- I love our MACs and practically work for their PR department, because I have converted everyone I know! This is a fun list- I think I will make one now!

Angela said...

PS Let me know how the Bean Cookbook is - I too, have 300 pounds of beans to use!

Jessica Zimmerman said...

me too about the couch. we have had our futon since beginning of marriage. it has come in handy, and i don't care what the kids do to it. but someday, i want a beautiful "grown-up" couch. i've heard the hippo song before too. it's cute.

missliss said...

I've been meaning to talk to you about the pyrex measuring cups...

Williams-Sonoma recently got some flexible silicone ones in. They are a stacking set of 1, 2, and 4 cup.

I have some. I love that they're tall, microwave/dishwasher, you can mix straight in there, lightweight, you can make your own spout as big or little as you want, and they squish into your storage space.

Check them out. Or, have someone else check them out :-)

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku6818637