Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Prayer of Thanks


While our kids are little and learning to pray we, my husband and I, take turns "helping" them say prayers. We will whisper phrases in their ear and then they will say it out loud. Ian is almost 5 years old and still requests "help" with his prayers. I am really trying to encourage him to think of his own things to say in a prayer. He has shed a few tears because he just doesn't want to say the prayer. Mostly he just doesn't know what to say. Over the last week or two when it is his time to voice the prayer, we have started taking a moment beforehand to think together of things we want to thank Heavenly Father for and a few things we would like him to bless us with so that Ian has these things in his head when he says the prayer.

Ian often lists things like soccer, the park, his knights and pirates as well as food. But he also almost always says he is thankful for "Henry who plays with me". Henry usually throws in spiderman and his football. Sophie is a little more thoughtful and adds in family, friends, and activities. Sophie often will ask for Heavenly Father to help Ian with his reading and Henry with his potty training. I love to hear them pray for and about each other.

Each time Ian is asked to pray he is getting closer and closer to "doing it on his own". He is a very sweet little guy and has always taken his time doing and learning most things. He didn't walk until he was 15 months old and didn't talk until he was over 3 years old. When he started walking, he was quickly off running. And complete sentences came out of his mouth when he finally started expressing himself with words. He just always waits to do things until he can do it well. But this experience, with him learning to pray, has been good for us as a family, especially at this time of year. It has helped us focus more on what we are grateful for and who gave us all these good things.

We do live a very blessed life. We are truly grateful for it.



For more Wordfull Wednesday posts visit Chocolate on my Cranium.

12 comments:

Montserrat said...

I love listening to children's prayers. They are always so sweet and direct and they remember those little things that make their day.

Mommymita said...

Kids are so sincere and honest. I had one child go through the entire alphabet thanking for each letter.. .. my sister was over and she was really hungry. When he started thanking for each number my sister kicked me under the table to intervene

They really do remind us of both the simple and great things to be grateful for

Ratliffs said...

Wow! We have an Ian (almost 3) who didn't walk until he was about 15 months, and who just started talking a few months ago! Crazy!!

We do the exact same thing with our boys before prayers. Our oldest (5) has been saying his prayers for awhile now, but talking with him about things that he was thankful for is where we started. Good luck! Soon he'll be bringing tears to your eyes with the thoughtful things he thinks of to pray for!

Anonymous said...

My three are about at the same stages yours are. We have to help D, C can pray on his own but still needs a lot of help to come up with *different* things each day. And A is really maturing and beginning to pray sincerely from his heart. It is a blessing to help them along and watch them progress.

Anonymous said...

and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Emily said...

I like how you talk with your son about things you are grateful for and blessing to ask for before the prayer. What a good practice for him to do. I know when I ponder these things before my own prayers they are more meaningful.
My son use to bless batman in his prayers. :)

Lisa~ said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Lisawa

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I love listening to my children pray.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Andrea said...

This is so beautiful. I am so thankful Heavenly Father has given us the opportunity to be parents, because of the many amazing things we learn from our children. Thank you for sharing this.

Angela said...

Very sweet- this will be a priceless post. I just have to say that I can't believe that you were able to go to Broadway on your mission. I freaked out when I read that. What a lucky mission you had. I went to Osaka, Japan and we did plenty of touring every pday- but the theater rocks! Lucky you!

Richelle said...

My almost 3 year old is starting to say his prayers. Every once in a while he will say a couple things on his own. Since he got his "big boy bed" about a month ago, he always has to make sure he says he is thankful for it--for any prayer, even at the dinner table. :)

Sonja said...

Very touching post! Often children lead the way in reminding us what is really important. It is so wonderful and fulfilling to see their progression. I'm so thankful to be a mom!

You will be so glad you wrote this down!