Thursday, November 20, 2008

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies

Last week at the library I picked up Good Masters! Sweet Ladies for our medieval studies. I was really lucky to also pick up the audio CD of this book which was on the Library shelves. It must be brand new, just released, because Amazon doesn't even have the audio book listed. Or at least I couldn't find it. They do have an audio download. But getting the CD was so perfect. We had attempted to sit down and read these short little monologs a few weeks ago and didn't really get anywhere. I returned the book eventually and thought I would get it again later.

Listening to the different actors read the parts was wonderful. When the author says they are plays she means it and plays are meant to be performed. My kids loved them. Sophie sat with the book in front of her and listened while she followed along and looked at the illustrations. Ian requested to listen to it again and then also wanted us to take it out to the car so we could listen to it as we drive around. So if you can find the Audio CD of this book it is well worth it. Great little stories that really bring to life the different people in a medieval village.

4 comments:

Bibliophile said...

I first read about this book in The Wall Street Journal, and it sounded so good that I requested a hold on it at the local library. When it came in, I read it from cover to cover in one sitting and found it delightful. I haven't heard about the audio book, but it would be a great addition. Maybe they should make it a movie???

Malissa said...

we'll have to add that to our must read/listen to list. sounds great!

Andrea said...

I need to use more audio books. We use them a lot when we go on road trips and always love them, but for some reason we forget about them in day to day life. We'll have to try this one. It sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

I bought this one a while back and we were actually going to read from it today, but my voice is gone. I can barely talk. Now I wish I had the audio! I had grand plans for getting them to memorize and deliver a monologue, but I think it will have to wait for the next history go-around. I really like the book though.