Saturday, November 8, 2008

A (not so) Quick Sum Up

I don't know why I am even bothering to do a report for this week. There hasn't been a whole lot of schooling going on.

Monday we did great. We had the pledge, scripture, language lesson, math, history, science and I even introduced our new artist for the month. We accomplished a lot.

Tuesday was election day and we took the kids with us while my husband and I went to vote. Just a reminder when you are voting you aren't supposed to just circle the yes or no on your ballot you are supposed to fill in the center part of the arrow. I made it about half of the way through and realized that I was doing it wrong. Last year we had touch screen voting which was so easy. At least I caught the mistake and was able to get a new ballot to fill out, this time correctly.

When we got home we did our pledge and then sat down to do our table work, scripture, math and language lessons. The kids did fine. We read some books for science and had lunch. After lunch we went to my book club meeting. The kids always have a good time playing with the other kids while the moms discuss a book. This month's pick was The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.

We walked home enjoying the crisp air. Ian took a tumble and because his hands were in his jacket pockets they weren't there to brace his fall, instead his face took the brunt of the fall. He must have fallen on a little rock or something because had a good gash on his forehead which was bleeding pretty good. So we rushed home and put him in the bath and gratefully the bleeding stopped and the cut didn't look big enough to need stitches. And it is just about this time that I got a really good look at the rest of his face. One side of his face looks pretty scraped up.
This is what he looks like today. It is healing nicely but he still gets lots of comments and he is rather embarrassed to tell people what happened. He loves his Cars bandage.

Wednesday morning Sophie and I went to the dentist. Sophie did great with the cleaning, x-rays, and exam. She was even well behaved waiting while I had my teeth cleaned. But when she got home she quickly climbed onto my bed and wrapped up in a blanket and told me she wasn't feeling well. I thought it was related to the dentist and the flouride they put on her teeth. I always felt a little sick after going to the dentist when I was a kid. I let her relax for a little while I got going on cleaning up dishes and was about to start laundry she I heard her start to cry and the distinct sound of throwing up. It was all over my bed and even the floor. I guess it was a good thing I hadn't started the laundry yet. She got in the bath and stayed there a long time. The boys were banished to their room so I could get my room cleaned up. We never got to school this day. Sophie slept a lot and we did watch a few movies. I guess you could say we did some history. We watched Cathedral which is based on David Macaulay's book. The boys watched it, Sophie was sort of in and out during it. Ian made the connections between the cathedral we went to a few weeks ago with the one that was being built in the movie. I thought it was very interesting and will be looking for the other videos in this series.

I did read the boys some books and played bit with them. I even took the kids to the park for our normal park day. The boys had a great time but Sophie just curled up in the blanket I brought for her and she slept there at the park.

Thursday was more of the same. Sophie still was running a fever, her throat hurt and she was tired so she slept. I played and read books with the boys, did some more laundry and cleaned the house. When Sophie was awake, I tried to read aloud to her. She enjoyed a few chapters of Our Island Story which corresponded to our chapter in SOTW about Alfred the Great. She also listened to more Classical Kids CD's while moaning and groaning on the couch. We listened to Mr. Bach comes to call and Beethoven Lives Upstairs. We also all looked at a few books of Ansel Adams photographs. My kids especially enjoy looking at his photos of Yosemite. I guess it is a good thing he took so many of them.

I still had to go and coach Ian's soccer team's practice that afternoon. Again I packed sick Sophie along with us wrapped up in a blanket. She just laid there on the grass and slept.

Friday I finally called the doctor. Sophie hadn't been eating or drinking much since she got sick and the fever was still up but not really high. We took her in and I felt foolish because he told me it most likely just the virus that is going around. But he took a throat swab and sent it to the lab. I went to the pharmacy and bought more tylenol. We had gone through two bottles of meltaways and we were out.

We went home and watched Toy Story. I was tired of having a sick complaining, whinny girl and just needed everyone to be happy so they sat in front of the tv for awhile. I went and took a nap on the couch.

Saturday morning we finally got the results of the test, possitive for strep. Let's hope the medicine helps and she is back to normal next week.

While Sophie was sick I did do a little sewing. I made some cloth crowns for each of the kids. Since we are studying so much about kings and queens I thought we needed some crowns to play with. I took my ideas from this tutorial but changed it bit because I wanted gold crowns. And didn't use any ribbon. But the boys really love them. Sophie will too once she is feeling better.
I think I am going to look and see if I can find any jewels to glue or sew onto the crowns to really personalize them for the kids.

That has been our week. We did a bit but not everything that was planned for the week. I am sure we will be back in the swing of things on Monday.

7 comments:

Montserrat said...

Poor Sophie! Hope she gets to feeling better very soon and that nobody else gets it.

I love those crowns you made. How fun!

Kodelle said...

So sorry about your week. Hopefully Sophie will be feeling better soon. And, even more hopefully, no one else comes down with it.

Anonymous said...

It is NOT fun when kids are sick!
We have the cathedral book (from the library) that you speak of. I'll have to check out that movie.

Angela said...

I am behind so I am sure Sophie is better now- If now I hope that she is! Great recommendation on the Cathedral Book- I am going to search for that today! Hope the week is going better for you!

Andrea said...

Sorry to hear about Sophie. She sounds like such a sweet little girl. Hope everyone is good now.

That was fun to get a little insight into what you might like for Christmas.

Jessica Zimmerman said...

It sounds like a hard week. You are an amazing mom!

my5wolfcubs said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and looking at our artwork! I wish I posted more & I wish I drew more! :)

I own the Cathedral book -- video recommendation (you always have the best recommendations!).

Love the crowns!!
Lee