Thursday, August 7, 2008

Weather Art Book

Today we sat down to read some books. Today is library day and I usually try to read our library books at least once before returning them. I had a few that have been on my shelf for a long time.

We are finishing up our study of weather and storms so most of the books were something related to this topic. We finally got to a great one today. The book is How Artists See The Weather. It is part of a whole series of books that take a topic such as the weather, people, play, feelings and such like that. This is the first one I have picked up.

At first I just had Sophie sitting with me as we looked at the first picture which is the Van Gogh piece that is on the cover and with the text we explored the painting and looked at it compared to another also by Van Gogh. It really took us for a tour through these paintings and we saw how artists show the different elements of weather through color, stroke or subject. After a few pages of paintings and discussions about them. The boys wanted to join in on the fun and point out the things they saw in the paintings as well. I totally recommend the book and I will be picking up others from the library. It fit in so nicely with our study of weather. It if fun to look at paintings from all sorts of different artists and styles but that are all related to a subject like this.

3 comments:

Bibliophile said...

that sounds like a neat book!

Michal said...

that looks like a great book. i'll have to check it out soon--i love how you tied it in with your weather study.
by the way, i'd love to hear your review on 'raising cain' when you finish it. i'm always looking for a good book on raising boys.

Anonymous said...

I just bookmarked the series to order from the library. They sound very good. Thanks for the review.

Also, I agree with Michal. I would love to read your opinion about Raising Cain. It seems I often forget that I'm raising a boy too. ;)