Monday, August 18, 2008

Picasso Study

Our artist for the month is Picasso. I found a great book about Picasso at the library last week. Picasso and Minou is a fun picture book that introduces the painter and tells about his blue period and leads into his pink period. My kids loved sitting down and reading this book together. We have already read Venezia's biography of Picasso and it talked about the blue period and it showed us a few of the blue paintings but the Minou book really brought the reasons behind the paintings to life for them. They got it a little better after reading the picture book story.

We broke out our paints after reading the book and tried to make paintings using just one main color. My kids can't resist all the different colors so we ended up just having fun painting. While painting we discussed what emotions each color conveys. Sophie decided pink and red were very happy colors. Blue was a sad color. We differed in our opinions about green. I thought it was a cheerful color and Sophie thought it was a sort of quiet and sad. I guess it depends on what hue of green we are talking about. We agreed that most colors in the pure hue were much happier than if you mixed them with other colors.

Maybe next week we will get into the cubism style that Picasso is so famous for. But this week we enjoyed his blue and pink pictures.

3 comments:

Bibliophile said...

I guess Pablo Picasso is so important an artist that he must be studied, but I simply do not like his character. He hated women and portrayed them in such broken, awkward ways that he doesn't interest me at all. I am glad that the children are learning about color and mood. Great!

Angela said...

I love Pablo- I visited his Museum in Spain. Love it!

Anonymous said...

If you study the cubism style, check out mrpicassohead.com where you can create your own Picasso style portrait.