Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We already ruined the schedule

I knew there was a reason I don't put together a real schedule.

I have been reading different blogs where people have planned out their entire year and they seemed so organized. I have never been that organized. We often just go with the flow and follow a general schedule that I keep in my head. I haven't ever sat down and wrote it all down. I thought it would be nice to actually have a plan and go by it for a change. So I spent the day Monday with a teacher's plan book. I was looking through Story of the World and penciling in the chapters and topics we would study when. I also made a list of all the subjects that I want to cover in Science between now and new year. I penciled those into the planner too. I then went through the FIAR books and picked a number of books to "row" during the term that sort of went along with Science or History. I picked composers and artists for us to study this term and finally bought the new math books for Sophie and Ian. The only thing I haven't scheduled is grammar lessons and those don't really need to be scheduled except for how many to do each week. I also have to figure out how often I need to do reading lessons with Ian. So far we are just going to do a letter of the week.

Today or this week we are supposed to do chapter 1 of Story of the World Volume 2. We listened to this first chapter, which is a short review of the end of the last volume, and Sophie and Ian didn't want to stop. They begged to keep on going. So we listened to chapter 2 also. But that is scheduled for next week. I am sure we can stretch it out a bit and try to make it last this week and the next but I am sure this is a sign to show me what all my plans are worth. Now am I supposed to reassign the chapters since it was for next week? I can tell there is going to be tweaking and such as we go along I am sure. I just didn't expect it the very first week. I wasn't even really expecting to start this week. I thought a review week would be good before jumping into it. But my kids had other plans.

There is still a few things I need to schedule in. I recently bought Our Island Story. It is recommended for this age, 2nd year, on Ableside Online's curriculum. This is one of the many places I go to get ideas for books to read with my kids. I started to read Our Island Story the other day with Sophie and she loved it. I read through the first three chapters. Which lead up to when Roman's took over England. It fit perfectly with chapter 1 of Story of the World that we listened to today. What I need to do now is look at the chapters and figure out which correspond with what chapters of Story of the World. This scheduling idea is really great but a lot of work. I know now why I haven't really done it until now. I don't even know if we will follow it closely but at least I am getting things all together rather then just hope I remember to cover everything.

Along with our reading on Britain and the Celts. we decided to build Stonehenge.
We had to look online to see what it is supposed to look like. but I think we did a good job.


If nothing else the schedule is good for me. I can tell we won't follow it exactly but it was a good exercise to help me get more organized.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, it sounds to me like you are organized and your children are enthusiastic. It is a great blessing. I think you nail it when you say the plan is for you. Most of the good planner say that the children never see the "plan." Imagine if you stuck to the plan and squelched all that enthusiasm. Your Stonehedge is wonderful.

I've been reading through the Ambleside Online site. CM resonates with how I want to homeschool. I'm also reading Real Learning a bit closer. Elizabeth Foss writes about CM and Catholism but it is a very informative CM reference.

If ever you want to borrow a copy, let me know. I would be happy to loan you my copy.

Anonymous said...

Your Stonehenge is so awesome!!! I love all the things you guys build.

Well you know I am a planner, I just have to have it written down. In pencil though! Last year we had the opposite problem, we would get so into a culture, or else I'd procrastinate what I had planned that my written plan really kept us on track and moving forward. We did adjust numerous times though. And towards the end my boys wanted to hear the entire SOTW chapter too instead of just a section. So it'll be interesting to see what pace we do this year. I use tons of read-alongs and stuff though so I have no problems filling out a week.

Actually last week I heard a really good idea, which was to spend a whole month reading through all of SOTW 2 together, then pick which areas you want to go in depth on and do that for the next 8 months. That would an interesting way to go about it.

I do like having written plans though, so I can tie in FIAR and coordinate art and stuff. I've already made connections that I think will be fun for the boys this year. I'm excited! Do you like Our Island Story? I know it's online but I might buy it anyway. I'm also going to use Scotland's Story to add a few weeks of Scottish history in this winter (since we feel our Scottish heritage quite keenly!)

Anonymous said...

I love the cover of your copy of Our Island Story, mine is boring...all dark blue with some symbol on the front, not nearly as cute as yours.
Stonehenge looks great!
~Becky

Michal said...

i am in the process of planning out the fall. i didn't do this last year and i think it will be better for me. i plan on starting the new school year in two and a half weeks and i am desperately trying to get organized before then. i'll have to check out our island story.