Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Dreaming of Winter


I am trying to think cool thoughts today. I love winter time! Sometimes I think Alaska would be a good place for me. I get so peevish and weary when it is hot. My kids get more fractious. There has been a lot of fighting going on in our house today. Nothing seems to work as planned and that only makes it worse.

To escape the heat today we thought we would head to the Children's museum to which we have a year membership. We got in the car and drove to the light rail station. (We always take the light rail because I don't like driving into the city or having to pay to park. Light rail is free for us.) There was not a parking space within 5 blocks of the train station. I drove to the next station up and it too was packed to the gills. I refused to walk with my 3 kids 5 blocks to the train station so after half an hour of driving around just looking for a place to park we went back home accompanied by a lot of tears and gloominess. I cranked up the AC and we played with trains, knights, pirates and blocks all afternoon instead.

Tuesday is the day I usually go to a cycling class at the YMCA. The kids always enjoy going to the Kids Corner to play so they were happy to put their shoes on and head out to the car again. When we got there the power was out at the YMCA due to the excessive heat. So again we were headed home without getting to do what we set out to do. The kids didn't get so worked up by this one. I told them we will just go home and watch a movie with the AC going.
I know some people love the summertime. I am not one of them. I am miserable and uncomfortable. I much prefer the cold weather. I love having hot chocolate, warm soups and breads. Sweaters and socks are lovely. I don't like feeling sweaty. I love curling up with a warm blanket to watch a movie or read a good book. I can actually go outside without feeling like the air is closing in around me.

How many more weeks of this do I have to make it through? I have only sunshine and smoke filled skies to look forward to for weeks and weeks.

How am I going to make it?

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh girl, I feel your pain. I don't like the heat either. But I also don't like the cold snow. lol! I'm more of a spring/autumn girl myself.

I hope it will cool down for you a little bit. :)

Bibliophile said...

If it would be any consolation, today it is 109.4 here according to the computer, but the thermometer outside says 110. We have had the AC turned on all day, but the good windows have kept the AC off until around 1 p.m. It's difficult to sleep at night, since the smoke from the fires have kept the heat on the ground at night. It might be worse, the weatherman said, if the smoke hadn't kept the sun away a bit. What? It's so miserable outside, that we just stay home and enjoy the cool air.

Andrea said...

It's rare indeed to find someone that shares my dread of the summertime! I think my growing up in AZ really sealed the deal for me. I have always been the minority with my love of winter, spring, and fall. Anything except SUMMER!!!

We're halfway through. We can make!