Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Pirates, Pan and Cowboys

I always love starting a new month and I have planned some fun things for us to study. Since Sophie is the oldest and the one who really is supposed to do school. Everything is usually planned around her to a certain extent. Well this month I have chosen things that I know the boys will really enjoy.

Today we started reading Peter Pan. We have read the Disney version many times and have recently added the Disney movie to our collection but I wanted to read the original book. So today the boys thrilled when I told them it was our next read aloud. I am sure this one will go quickly so I may go on to read Peter and the Starcatchers. To go along with our reading I have also been borrowing every pirate book I could find from the library. So our shelf is stocked with all sorts of swashbuckling tales (I haven't read through them all yet so we will see how they go).
I even found a CD at the library with Pirate music. I am sure this should be fun!

As our artist for the month. Sophie was disappointed that we didn't have one last month (since I just never got around to picking one). But I picked Fredric Remington who did paintings and sculpture of cowboys and the wild west. That sounds fun to look at. I know Ian especially will enjoy looking at cowboys. Sophie and I are reading Brighty of the Grand Canyon as our night time read aloud book and the cowboys will go along nicely with that.

Our composer for the month doesn't really follow the boy theme. Although I know the boys enjoy dancing around to Camille Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals already.

This line up for our studies is a big change from our American Girls units that we have done the last two months. But I hope to get the boys a lot more involved with the books and our subjects. I am sure Sophie will have a wonderful month too.

5 comments:

Montserrat said...

My husband loves Frederic Remington. That exact print is hanging in his office. Ira loves to go in and point to the horses and guns.

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm typing one handed as I hold the 30lb toddler. He is staring at the screen wildly excited to see the cover of How I Became a Pirate. He loves that book. Boys are so different. Hope your guys enjoy the theme.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like so much fun!! You have the best ideas. We're supposedly learning about airplanes this month, but I'm just not too thrilled at the moment. Middle Ages history though--I'm getting way excited for!!

We love all of David Shannon's books here. :)

Sonja said...

Once again, I'm inspired by all the culture you give your children!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

David Shannon's books just crack me up. We have the pirate one, and it's a favorite!