Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our Week

We have had a busy, active week. Lots of books!

Our main focus for the week has been the period of time just before the Revolutionary war. We read through the 3rd and 4th Felicity books.

Sophie and I are working on a little cross stitch while we listen to the Audio book sometime. It is Sophie's first real sewing of any kind so it is a bit rough but she is getting a taste of what young girls were taught during that time period.
We have also been reading a bunch of other books about the people and goings on during the time period.




We never go wrong with one of these "You wouldn't want...." books. Every time I bring one home from the library they don't even make it to the library shelf. Sophie grabs it and reads through it. She loves the little comic strip like illustrations I think.My Husband read through this one on his own one night after the kids went to bed and was quite impressed with how much they included in the book about the time and the events.

Now this one.... I don't know if it is really a great one to teach with but my kids sure think it is fun. But they now think John Hancock always wrote his name large. But it is fun. Especially if you can find the movie version of it. The background music had a Beatles feel to it. Sophie caught on to it.

We Rowed this one last year around the 4th of July so my kids already know this story and the poem. But I think it makes so much more sense this time around. They have more context to place the story in.

We have actually done other things too besides just history related things. We have read a few more "science" books that follow the changes of the seasons.




We also read a few non fiction books about air. We now know the three different states of matter (Solid, liquid and Gas) and that air is made up of different gasses. We watched an Ice Cube go from a solid to a liquid and then eventually the liquid disapeared becomming a gas. This is one of Sophie's favorite experiments. Easy to do on a hot summer day. We also took a good look at our fish tank and how the filter puts air into the water so that even the fish could get air.

We picked up a few of the Math Start books by Stuart Murphy at the library. My kids particularly liked this one.I have read it at least once a day since we got it and I know Sophie and Ian look at it on their own.

Along with our many many books this week we have also spent a good amount of time outside. We took a few early morning walks since by afternoon it is too hot to go out. On Friday it was getting hot in the house too so we headed to the park. I thought if we could just lay on the grass in the shade and feel the breeze we would be cooler.
The kids took their scooters and enjoyed a ride along the bike trail at the park.

We sat by the creek and enjoyed our sandwiches.
And of course had to take a close look at the ducks.

Sophie started to collect the goose feathers that were scattered about the field.

I think she found a bunch and most of them made it home with us.
After getting really hot riding around the park for a bit we eventually laid out the blanket under a big oak tree and enjoyed the cool breeze as we sipped some cool water. It did feel good. Much better than our hot stuffy house.

We did put those feathers to work when we got home. The kids wanted to try writing like John Hancock. So I broke out some paints and they used a few feathers to try to write with.



Eventually the other end of the feather was dipped into the paint and it was just like a normal paint brush but they got a taste of what it was like to use a feather quill.

We also had swim lessons this week. Both Sophie and Ian had a bit of trouble staying focused and had to be reminded to stay on task. I just have really busy kids that can't stand waiting around too much. They just start doing their own thing instead of waiting and watching. Some people would say this is because they don't go to school.

We had the missionaries to dinner one night this week. One of them was quite intrigued by Sophie's accent. She sometimes slips into a british sounding accent when she is talking. I think it is all these british books we read to her. You can't read a book that takes place in England and not do the accent, right?

I am really tired and looking forward to Sunday, My "day of rest". Maybe I can squeeze in a nap tomorrow. I can always hope!
Thanks Cocoa for teaching me how to add a signature!

8 comments:

Montserrat said...

After seeing all the American Girl books you've been reading I want to plan some unit studies for my younger girls using them. They are just getting interested in the dolls and I think this will keep their interest in school a lot better.

Bibliophile said...

I loved the photo of the ducks in the park!

Tammy said...

I love the photo of your son eating the sandwich in the tree.

And writing with the feather quills, that's such a great idea! I bet it was a slow process writing with having to dip the quill into ink so often.

Michal said...

great books, some great time at the park, swimming lessons, writing with quills--sounds like a great week!
you're not in the sacramento area, are you? i'm guessing elsewhere in cally, but just in case . . . i'd love to get our kids together if you were.

Sonja said...

Woo wee! You guys had a great week! I'm so glad for the book reviews, as always. The pictures of your kids at the park are fantastic! Elise would have LOVED to find all those feathers. We are going to be studying early American history next year, so I'm going to tuck away the quill writing idea for then.

Of course you have to read a book with English characters WITH an English accent! :)

Ice Cream said...

You make me want to homeschool this summer. Or, at least you've given me lots of great summer reading ideas for the kids. =)

My oldest used to have a new york accent when she was about 3. It was so cute.

I love the feather activity. You are such a fun mom.

Angela said...

These are some of my most favorite books- and I read each of the American Girl series with my daughter when she was 8. I think I loved them more than here. What a great week-

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I love the American Girl books! Looks like a fun week!!