Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Le Ballon Rouge

Yesterday afternoon I went and got the mail. I was excited to find two bright red envelopes there. I was right in the middle of a mini series and needed the next disk so I could finish the story. Somehow neither of those red Netflix envelopes contained the last disk that I was expecting. This happens from time to time. I don't check my netflix queue for awhile, things get shuffled around, or my husband puts a few things on there that I don't expect. For what ever reason they, netflix, sent me two other movies that were on my queue. Sometime movies just creap up to the top of my queue that I had added years ago and had forgotten about. Well one of these movies that I didn't expect came yesterday.
The Red Balloon is a film I vividly remember watching in school as a child. That bright red balloon following a boy all through the streets of Paris is hard for a person to forget. In a humanities senior seminar class on film that I took in college I got to watch it again. It really is a work of art.
I put it on yesterday afternoon for my kids to watch. They loved seeing the red balloon dance around the windows of the school almost seeming to peek in to try to find the boy. They appreciated that the boy took such good care of the balloon when walking home in the rain.He made sure the balloon was under an umbrella.
They giggled when the balloon seemed to play games and tease the boy and he would scold it.

They all wanted to try flying with the huge bunch of balloons like the boy does at the end.
If you haven't seen this film before see if you can find it somewhere. My kids loved it!

3 comments:

Janssen said...

Love your blog - I'm such a homeschooling fan. :)

What a great-looking movie!

Angela said...

I think I remember seeing that movie as well- I am going to have to check it out!

Ice Cream said...

Oh the memories. I remember seeing this in French class. It turned me onto several other old french films.