Friday, June 13, 2008

If you haven't yet... you should.

This morning I finished the final chapter of Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. It really is a book everyone should read. I learned so much about Pakistan and what is going on in that part of the world. But more importantly it gives a very different picture of Muslims and the war on terror then what we hear from the news. No I still don't understand their religion and some of their teachings. Even Greg questions some of the things that they do. I still think the Religion has a lot to do with why they have the problems that they do but I can see things a little differently after reading this book.

In the last apartment we lived in our neighbors were a Pakistani, muslim family. They had three kids who my kids would often play with. The five of them were living in a small two bedroom apartment and had very little by way of furnishings. In true muslim style the walls were bare of pictures. The youngest (Kindergarden age) slept on a thin mattress on the floor of the kids room with a sister who was 10 and brother who was 12 sharing a bunk bed. But when talking with the parents we knew that the life they lived here was leaps and bounds better then life in Pakistan. I remember one summer the kids were all excited because the family was going to spend a few months in their homeland. They still had some family there, although a lot of the uncles, aunts, and cousins were in the US and would often visit our neighbors. I think we even meet Grandma once. The youngest boy in this family hadn't ever been to Pakistan. He was born here. After a month of them being gone, the father returned because he needed to work but he told us his kids were already asking to come back to the US. They loved being with family but it is a very different life style there. I remember them not been too excited to tell us much about Pakistan when they returned. One of the things I remember this father telling us was that the kids were getting a good education here. Something they wouldn't be able to get back at home.

The book has really got me thinking and does remind me that one man really can make a big difference. I think this man's approach to promoting peace is a excellent one. By educating a people especially the girls you will change things for the better.

Please do get your hands on this book and read through it. It is inspiring.

5 comments:

Ice Cream said...

Thanks for the book idea. I will have to look for it.

I agree that people, not governments, can make the best differences. Sadly, too many people are more than happy to let the government do everything, and that is where the trouble happens.

Bibliophile said...

AFter reading your message about "Three Cups of Tea," I checked to see whether or not our local library had a copy. It has three, and all are checked out. I put in a request for the book, and I am now Number 6 in line to read it. Thanks for the suggestion about this book. I went to Amazon.com and read the reviews about it....5 stars! I haven't heard about it, nor have I heard of the author, who is pictured on the Amazon.com site. Is it worth buying, instead?

Michal said...

i've heard this is good, but your review pushes me to actually check it out and read it. i loved a thousand splendid suns in the way that it helped me understand and relate to the women of afghanistan . . . i look forward to reading this book. thanks.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I have never heard of this book, but it looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Angela said...

Ok Everyone is raving about this book back here. I checked it out, started it and then someone had it on loan right behind me! So I had to return, Everyone says that it so inspiring. I need to get going on it again. I guess I will just buy it. It has been everyones book club choice!