Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Green Hour #15 - Drawing Geraniums

Before we went for one of our walks around the block this week I printed out the "How to draw flowers" directions for the geranium that we listed on the link Barb included with the challenge for the week. Sophie and I brought along our sketch books and some colored pencils. The boys just grabbed their scooters.
There are many different geranium bushes around our neighborhood. Most of them are pink but there are a few bright red geraniums too.

Sophie sat right down and picked one of the leaves off the bush and started to make a rubbing of it. The leaves of the geranium and thick and furry so didn't rub all that well. She got a sort of outline but not much else.

Stopped in a neighbor's yard who we knew wouldn't mind if we sat on their lawn to draw her flowers. We got out the instructions about how to draw the geranium and Sophie and I started to draw.

We took some time to really look at the shape of the leaves and to count the petals on each of the flowers. Ian was happy to find that each flower had 5 petals, 3 big ones and 2 little ones.

While we sketched the boys roamed about the yard and Henry found a tall mushroom. He picked it to bring to me. He had already pulled the top off and there was an orange powder all over him.

I think I am going to have to read up on mushrooms so I can be better prepared for them when they pop up.
I wanted to stay and add some color to my drawing but Sophie and the boys were ready to move along. So we picked up our stuff and headed down the sidewalk. We saw some beautiful Hibiscus flowers on a bush in one yard. We all had to go and get a close look at those.

We always enjoy our walks and I can't believe how many different things we see each time we go. Things pop up that weren't there the last time and sometimes I know I just didn't see it the last time.


I just thought I would include the pictures from a little nature time we spent at the park today.
Every time we come to this park the kids run straight for the creek to throw rocks into it.


As we walked along the creek we noticed a bunch of these thistle like plants. When growing up we called them milk weeds but when I looked up milk weed it didn't look like this.

It was fun to take apart the more mature ones and see the fluffy feather like wings that help scatter the seeds. We helped scatter quite a few while avoiding the spiky thorns.

Sophie enjoyed finding acorn tops along the creek to use as fingernails.
My kids sure enjoy being outside and we are having such great weather we are trying to take advantage of it before it gets too hot.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your pictures are beautiful, what lovely geraniums!
Thanks for visiting my blog too! Green Hour Challenge is a wonderful way of discovering great new blogs!

Rachael

Barb said...

Geraniums, great choice! They are always so colorful. Sometimes I only get a quick sketch when we are out and about too but then I finish it up at home at my leisure.

That was one really big mushroom and I think your plant is a purple thistle, we just saw one this week too.

Great nature study week! Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Montserrat said...

We haven't done this Green Hour yet. Reading about yours has got me all excited! How lovely to have a creek to walk to in the shade.

Anonymous said...

I love all of the flowers you have in your neighborhood. Your pictures are wonderful! Things have been so crazy around here lately that we haven't done any of the flower Green Hour Challenges yet. I think we had better get started this week...

Melissa said...

oh they are beautiful! And looks like you had a really good time!

Tammy said...

The acorn tops on the fingers are great! ;)

You really inspire me with these green hour challenges. Your kids are going to remember you teaching them about nature always.....

Ice Cream said...

We are having such miserable rainy weather here, I am jealous of the lovely sunshine in your photos.