Thursday, June 12, 2008

Liberty's Kids

At the Library this morning we picked up a great series to go along with out studies about the Revolutionary War. Liberty's Kids has proved to be a hit. Sophie was skeptical at first. But after the first episode, which was about the Boston Tea Party, she begged to watch the next one. After that second episode we left for a bit to go take a swim but on the drive back home the kids begged for another episode. Since it is hot I agreed they could if we first did some math. Sophie quickly completed it without having to be prodded. And the kids, all three of them, are all glued to the set watching the next episode. As I have watched it along with them I thought it was a fun introduction to all the people and happenings from the time period. Sophie especially got excited when the kids take a trip to Williamsburg which is where Felicity lives.

I know there are many people that don't watch any movies or don't have their kids watch any television. But I love movies too much. In moderation I think they can be used to reinforce things already studied. We usually try to read about the subject before viewing a documentary or read the book before watching movies based on books.

4 comments:

Montserrat said...

We LOVE Liberty's Kids!

Ice Cream said...

I'm a video lover. My kids learn so much from their educational videos. I'm the same way about audio books. They allow my children to hear classic literature and I can do the laundry and dishes at the same time. =)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

We used to watch this on PBS, lol.

Anonymous said...

I've been grappling with when to allow Cate (age 4.5) to begin watching educational videos. We've been watching very short Youtube and the like videos to reinforce ideas.

I think yo uare right about the use of educational videos. Liberty Kids looks like just the right type of video.