Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mosaics

We are moving quickly through the first few chapters of Story of the World. My kids love to listen to chapter after chapter.  We are already on chapter 4 this week. If we do two chapters a week we are going to fly through rather quickly but I have a feeling things will really slow down once all our online classes and activities start up in Sept. We will have a little less time to read the books and do projects so won't be able to fly through things so fast. For now it is good to get ahead so I don't feel like we have to play catch up later. 

Chapter 4 of Story of the World is about the Byzantine Empire. And it discussed a little about their famously beautiful mosaics. Of course we had to give these a try. 4 years ago when we did mosiacs I used little squares of colored paper and contact paper.  This time I decided to try sequins. 

 Everyone was given a blank sheet of cardstock and a pile of colorful sequins.  They each started with a pencil drawing. Ian and Henry each drew some sort of "Minecraft guy" for their pictures. Sophie was a bit more adventurous and did an eagle with a halo that she saw in one of the celtic coloring books she has been pouring over the last few days.
 Molly just squirted some glue on the page and started sticking little square sequins into the glue.
 She said it was a dancing robot.
 Sophie covered her entire page with her drawing and then took a long time placing the little colors on the page.
 Here is Ian's Minecraft guy.
 Henry evidently made a few Minecraft guys and they are fighting. I think I need to figure out more about Minecraft. I don't know what this game is that they are talking and talking about.
 Sophie was very diligent and kept at her task until the entire paper was covered.
 Here is my mosaic. Not very creative but it works and looks very nice glittering in the light.
 Here is Molly's dancing robot.

And here is Sophie's finished product. It turned out really beautiful.

I think this was a successful project. They each have a little something to hang on their walls and hopefully they learned a little something from the experience.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Those mosaics are fun! I hope you don't mind, I'm going to pin this for when we get to that chapter. I like the square sequins, haven't seen those. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them.