Sunday, December 4, 2011

Transitions

Molly has not been napping lately. She can climb out of her crib and when I put her in there for a nap she emerges a few minutes later and usually when I go back there later I find all the clothes from her shelves dumped on the floor.  So I have given up trying to get her to sleep in her crib during the day. At night she seems to still be doing alright since by then she is especially tired,  I guess.

When we packed the car to go over the river and through the woods to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving I took the big stroller out of the back of the van and put it in the house.  I never got around to putting it back when we got home so it has sat here in the living room for a few days.  While we were doing school work one day Molly grabbed her favorite blanket and asked for her Binky (which she only uses at sleepy time). I relented on the pacifier because I needed her to be quiet for a little while. She climbed into the stroller and even gave herself a pillow and before we knew it she was snoozing away in the noisy front room cuddled up in the stroller.  She slept there for a good hour and a half and would have slept more except I had to wake her so we could go out to some appointment.
She did this same trick the next day again.  It was great. But I finally took the stroller out of the front room because we had to rearrange things a bit when we put the Christmas Tree up.  But when she started to get cranky and asking for her binky, I asked her if she could sleep in Sophie's room on the bunk bed. This is where she will eventually sleep full time.  I didn't know if it would work but she went in and laid down on the bed and slept for a good long nap.  I tried to put her in there for bedtime at night and it didn't work out. Sophie likes to read and night so Molly kept climbing up the ladder and bothering her.  I whisked Molly off to her crib, which is in our closet, and she promptly went right to sleep.

I don't know how we are ever going transition Molly into sleeping in the "girl's room" at night.  8 years is such a big difference in age. Sophie also isn't the most patient of girls. She doesn't like being bothered by here younger siblings and isn't helping the situation.  There isn't much of a choice, however. We don't have a 4th bedroom and Molly can't sleep in our closet forever.

No comments: