Saturday, September 11, 2010

Healthy Cinnamon Rolls??

I was up at the crack of dawn. Actually it was before dawn even cracked because all the world was dark still.  I had a job to do and it couldn't wait. I had a birthday girl who was expecting something special for breakfast. I decided to make her the Cinnamon Rolls I had been planning to try for ages. I LOVE my Laurel's Kitchen Bread book and have now tried quite a few of the recipes. I am getting really good at making bread. It also helps to have the Kitchenaid mixer that does the kneading for me.  But cinnamon rolls require raising time and that ment I had to get up early.


I don't feel totally right about posting the recipe for these tasty treets but here is the page from the book.
In case you can't read it, these rolls are made from dough that uses cottage cheese and milk as the liquids. Pair that with the whole wheat flour and you can almost say these are healthy. It was a good thing I didn't need any all purpose white flour because Molly dumped my bucket all over the floor (see previous post) and I didn't have another bag in the pantry. I don't use white flour very much any more so haven't bought it in a long time. I guess it is time to get some. I do have a birthday cake to make later today.


The Recipe make two loves of bread so I just made one of them into the rolls and the other into Cinnamon Raisen bread. But the not so healthy part of these rolls is the frosting. You can't have cinnamon rolls without the melting, dripping frosting. (Now you know why I have those extra 25 lbs.)
Mix a little butter and powdered sugar together and it adds the finishing, and fatning part of these tasty treet.

I know my girl was happy with her tasty birthday breakfast!

I hope it has some staying power because we have a busy day ahead of us.

1 comment:

Bibliophile said...

Those cinnamon rolls look so good I can almost smell them. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sophie!