Saturday, October 18, 2008

What's up with Science?

One of the subjects I have been trying to focus more attention on is science. In October we have begun a study of the different biomes on the earth. Our first biome was forests (but not the rain forest, we will do that later). So we have been reading books all about coniferous and deciduous forests. I can't say there are a lot of great books at the library for young kids about these forests. But we have found a few that we have really liked. We own a book called Nature Cross Sections.
We really enjoyed looking at the cross sections of the forest trees with all the animals that live in all the different parts of the forest. We love animals around our house so we also watched a Going Wild with Jeff Corwin video that I found at the library. He explores a forest in colorado to find an elk. My kids loved this video. I think I am going to have to find others of this series. It is sort of like watching animal planet which is what my kids enjoy watching when at Grandma's house.

We have also been watching more Schlessinger videos. Both of these ones have been very useful.
It is sort of sad that I have been using so many videos to teach science. But I know along with the videos and a few books we also have been out on our nature walks and outdoor hour challenges which have helped us take a closer look at the coniferous and deciduous trees that we find in our neighborhood.

We are moving on to our next biome or ecosystem, rivers, next week. I don't really feel like we totally covered forests. (We didn't even do any fun projects. No... that isn't true. We did go out and collect the colorful leaves outside and we made them into collages.) I am thankful that I will get to cover the topic again and again in the years to come. That is one of the things that I need to remember and remind myself. That I don't have to cram the whole topic into their head this time around. In fact I shouldn't be cramming anything into their head but simply introducing topics to them and see where it leads us.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

So true! Thanks for the reminder.

Angela said...

I think you are MS. Science- I come here to get the ideas. I feel like I am not very creative in science, and can use a little push- thanks for the good ideas!

Barb said...

I need to check these out for our family. Looks great!

Thanks for the tip,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom