Thursday, October 9, 2008

What Sophie Wants

The other day I was sitting with Sophie brushing out her hair. To distract her from the tugs on her precious locks I was discussing what she enjoyed about the things we are studying at the moment. She of course was enthusiastic about all of it. She loves to learn. When I asked her about Math she said even that "was alright". I asked her if there was anything else she would like to study. She quickly said "art". I told her we do a lot of coloring and a some art projects now and again. She said "Lets do more art projects". " What kinds of Art would you like to do more of" I asked. She said drawing. "I want to be able to draw as well as you do" she said. I explained that I have had years of drawing and art classes so it will take some time and a lot of practice to be able to draw like I do. (I don't consider myself an artist. But I do draw pretty well.) So I promised her that we would start some drawing lessons.

No I did not sign her up for another class. I figured I can teach her how to draw..... right? I knew I would need some direction on how to go about this.

I got myself a copy of Drawing With Children by Mona Brookes and read through the introduction and such. I told Sophie we would have a drawing lesson each Thursday. She was very excited that today we were finally going to start our drawing lessons. I admit I wasn't totally prepared like I should have been but the lesson was fun. We discussed the different elements of shape and looked around the room to see those different elements. We discussed how things we know are round aren't always a circle when we see through the artist's eyes. She loved the lesson but wanted to get down to drawing. We did a few of the first exercises and she did quite well at them. I think we are going to do them again next time or some time this coming week to practice before our next lesson.
I did find this website that has the lessons broken down a bit more manageable. I need to follow it better than just winging it like I did today. So far so good.


It makes her happy!

6 comments:

Bibliophile said...

Ohhhh, I am glad to see that Sophie is interested in art and French. She's growing up so fast!

Angela said...

What a great idea! I love the idea as well, of art and French! Perhaps she will want to live in Paris- my dream!

Sonja said...

I wish we lived closer to you and my Elise could join Sophie for art lessons! My husband is an artist, but unfortunately I am not. Elise LOVES to draw but I have a really hard time steering her in any kind of direction.

I will look into that book and the website. I need all the help I can get!!
Thanks for sharing! :)

Michal said...

i really need to have this conversation with my kids to see what they wish we were studying/doing more of. i need to have the guts to ask them--but i'm scared that i can't fit anything more in. but you've inspired me. what a great benefit to homeschooling that you can cater to their wishes.

Anonymous said...

Sophie is a lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

Drawing with Children is on my list of want-to's. I can never seem to find time for it though. I think you draw really really well whereas I know nothing about art, but I feel if I committed myself to this book we could learn together. Unfortunately it never happens. I'm with Sonja, why can't we live closer and let you do it with our kids?