Friday, October 10, 2008

Outdoor Hour #34 - Maples

I just read the assignment for this week just this morning and I still have to post about studies on pines and oak trees but I wanted to get out and look at a certain tree we have in our neighborhood. I haven't been able to figure out what it is. It has the fruit like a maple but the leaves don't look like maple leaves. I grabbed my field guide and the kids and I went to study this tree.

We of course picked a few of the fruits and had to test their flying ability. The kids loved watching them spin like propellers as they threw them into the wind. We found that the drier ones flew better than the hearty looking ones.
Ok... enough of the fun... now down to business. I picked a few leaves from the tree to examine. The shape sure didn't look like maple and they grew in groups of three. So I went to the maple section of my field guide in hopes that it was just a different kind of maple and there it was mixed in with all those maples. And I was pleased to see that the field guide said that it does grow in our area. I have run into the problem of identifying a tree or plant and they seeing that it doesn't grow in our part of the U.S. Usually it has either been transplanted or I am wrong. But this time I believe I am correct.
This tree is a Boxelder. Henry didn't care what kind of tree it was he just wanted to climb it.
When I googled boxelder to confirm my identification, up came pictures of bugs too. This is the boxelder bug.
When picking the fruits off the tree for the kids to throw we found a number of these bugs mixed in. I guess that is a good sign I was right.

One more tree identified... many more to go!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special nature walk and looks like so much fun :)

We have only done nature walks for about 3 weeks and are still learning how to find our little niche. We are only on #2 with the Outdoor Hour, but are determined to keep plugging forward.

Have a blessed Sunday,
~Mrs. Cuddles

Barb said...

Boxelder...another tree I haven't seen in our area. My brother has them in the Sacramento area and I know they plant them in the sidewalk strips along his development. They are riddled with boxelder bugs.

Great job with your nature study, as usual. I love the seeds and how you played with them. You always seem to make your nature study fun and appropriate for your children's ages.

Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Malissa said...

thanks for the identification. we have a few at a local park. it's a favorite of the kids who love to try and climb it and of course watch the seed pods fly!thanks for sharing.

Paige said...

Great nature study, thank you for sharing.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Looks like another fun study. We're doing our maples this week, too.

Anonymous said...

I hate box elder trees!! We call them weed trees. They grow like crazy here and are nearly impossible to get rid of.

I love Sophie in a jacket and shorts! My kids still want to wear shorts but I am already freezing half the day.